Now Boarding – 75 minutes before departure

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• justloveflying
    Participant

Shorthaul flights, purely in their nature of having short turnarounds, also have shorter boarding times.

But I make this post about longhaul flights. During covid19, I would read reports online of smooth and efficient boarding processes for the few longhaul flights that operated in that period.

From as little as 45 minutes upto 1 hour, I do find that trying to get 400 or so passengers onto a widebody aircraft in such a tight timeframe, will often cross into the time that the aircraft should be pushing back or even taking off.

What do we think therefore, of an industrywide 75 minute boarding process for longhaul widebody flights ?

It would mean getting passengers seated comfortably and efficiently (bye bye aisle blockers) and more importantly for those travelling in a Premium cabin that extends beyond the R2/L2 doors, it would mean not having Economy passengers walking through during what is meant to be a time to collect one’s self before a long flight. Plus bye bye envious stares and sometimes questionable hygiene of some.

In this regard, I would propose boarding First/Business Class last, as it means the cabin potentially could be tidied up from possible mess left by those in Cattle Class (and hopefully avoid theft of water bottles/amenity kits).

I get that weight and balance requitrements mean, that the aircraft can’t be top heavy at the back.

But I would sooner board early instead of be part of a hectic and mad rush that only exacerbates unnecessary stress.

Hoping to see great (and polite) comments from you guys (and possibly ladies if there are any on here !).

stevescoots
    Participant

a 300+ flight should easily be able to be boarded in 30 mins, its all on the ground side ops. places like HKG now the gates are facial recognition manage it very easily. passport/boarding pass and face pic taken before security, not to mention there is outbound immigration checks as well

4 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

In this regard, I would propose boarding First/Business Class last, as it means the cabin potentially could be tidied up from possible mess left by those in Cattle Class (and hopefully avoid theft of water bottles/amenity kits).

Nice troll 😉

justloveflying
    Participant

A very good reply. I note that Airports where you need to scan your boarding pass / Passport before you enter the gfate area, are the ones where efficiency rules !

justloveflying
    Participant

FDOS ) Puzzled as to how me talking about the bad behaviour of others makes me a troll, but hey. If it makes your day nicer to be horrible then go for it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I would imagine that anything that could possibly extend crew duty time would not be thought of as an efficiency by an airline. Besides a paperless boarding process, enforcing hand baggage rules would also speed up boarding.

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

75 mins is completely unnecessary. A 350 seat aircraft can easily be boarded in 45 mins and airlines are in the business of improving efficiency not reducing it.

I suspect the childish comments about economy passengers means this is some new poster trying hard to get a reaction.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Rferguson2
    Participant

On the surface it sounds like a great idea. But having worked for an airline for a long time I can give some reasons why it wouldn’t work:

Turnaround times of aircraft: a longhaul aircraft will typically have a turnaround time of around 120min where possible. During this time they need to get everyone off, the aircraft fully cleaned, re-catered, new crew get on complete checks, boarding commence. Disembarking a large aircraft can take 30-40min alone, especially if there are a number of persons with limited mobility travelling. A -75min boarding time would leave just 45 min for a large aircraft to be dis-embarked, cleaned, catered and new crew on and having completed their checks.

Staff resources: both ground crews and cabin crews. At hubs ground staff jump from flight to flight and obviously have to be present at a gate before boarding starts. If there was a standard -75 boarding time this would require significantly more ground staff. At outstations, the ground staff tend to be multi-skilled in that they will often conduct check in, then when check in closes they move to the gate to assist with boarding. If check in closes at -60, it would be impossible for them to assist with boarding at -75. As Martynsinclair mentions, it would also impact on crew duty hours. When I was at BA we were not officially ‘on duty’ until -60min for a downroute longhaul departure.

Inquisitive
    Participant

It seems OP did not experience good airport or airlines. There are some airlines routinely manage to board all passengers within 15-20 minutes even in wide body aircraft by calling passengers back to front or vice versa.

Most airports have separate entry for first/business and economy, so anytime entry by business passengers are not affected.
    I routinely travel A380 by SQ and most time full boarding is done within 30 minutes both at Changi and LHR. Similarly in most other airports for A350 or B777.

In US and India domestic where I travel a lot, boarding is generally complete in 15 minutes in A320 or B737.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

@justloveflying – based on the fact that you say you can’t afford to travel at the moment, I’m somewhat surprised by your derogatory remarks about economy class passengers of which I am one (the clue is in my ‘handle’). Just to put your mind at rest, I do wash before flying, try not to trash the business class cabin as I walk through it (seething at the injustice of life) and only steal genuinely valuable stuff.

“But hey. If it makes your day nicer to be horrible then go for it” – your words, not mine.

justloveflying
    Participant

Trying not to laugh. Judging by some of the types of forum users, they woudl not be too happy if they are in an extended business class cabin and Economy board and pass through the cabin.

Racist,Mole,Troll,Childish,attention seeker….If there was a loyalty programme for insults on here I would be Gold or Platinum.

I will safely say that those who shoot me down regularly are the very ones who look down their noses at others 🙂

justloveflying
    Participant

Supposedly this is a forum for adults to discuss the highs and lows of travel. If someone agrees with you, you get elaborate positive and constructive responses. If some don’t agree with you, will be labelled and shot down at every opportunity. Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but online trolls really bug me !

I note that over the years, people have joined the forum and then left due to the toxic bullying. Personally I don’t have time for childish games that some display on here, but I really feel for someone who may be a bit younger and maybe not so worldly wise, that they would get very upset. I wonder what my next fake name will be after the list above.

Rferguson2
    Participant

@justloveflying

Being a discussion forum, discussion will often become debate. And we just have to roll with the punches of those that disagree with us sometimes. Afterall, we can really learn by considering the perspectives of others. And I imagine all of us that post on here have written something at some point that someone else has read and thought ‘wow that’s a bit out of order’.

I am an old fart now and I have realised over the past couple of years I need to change my view and/or reaction to certain things. There are many many things I could say, or write, that I would never find offensive. Nor would many of my friends in my circle. But some people may, and instead of debating the semantics of why they shouldn’t find something I have said or write offensive or hurtful I just accept that maybe I could have worded it a little bit more mindfully and try (not always successfully) to not do it again.

On a lighter note I flew Qatar Airways on an A320 a few months ago, Business Class was boarded first. I was sat in the window seat, the seat next to me was un-occupied. As often happens the aisle became blocked and a gentleman continuing down the back grabbed not only the water bottle but the blanket and pillow and continued on down to economy. I didn’t know whether to side-eye him or high five him lol. Brazen, that’s for sure.

FDOS
    Participant

‘Supposedly this is a forum for adults to discuss the highs and lows of travel.’

No, it’s a forum to discuss business travel.

2 users thanked author for this post.

TonyR
    Participant

If the hoi polloi down the back bother the OP can I suggest going down just before the gate closes when almost everyone will have boarded and be seated and you can saunter on without anyone bothering you. 😉

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls