Nov 30 strike, comment by Border staff

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

Charles-P
    Participant

I spoke to the UK Border Service office this morning as I’m coming through Heathrow on Wednesday.

The person I spoke to was confident there would be minimal delays as most staff are expected to turn up as usual plus a number of managers have been trained to fill the gaps. He said they expect less than 20% of staff to strike.

Binman62
    Participant

I work closely with elements of the public sector and can tell you that I am seeing 80% plus staff on strike in all areas of public service for Wednesday. 20% at UKBA sounds hopelessly optimistic and in contrast to the mood music of 12 hour delays (Exaggerated) and the offer by BA and VS to change flights without penalty. EY have now also cancelled several services to LHR that day. My own experience of UKBA last Sunday in T3 suggest a demoralised and bitter workforce up for a fight…be it government or lippy passenger.

Charles-P
    Participant

Binman62 – I am sure you are right with some parts of the public sector. Teachers for example are supporting it in that percentage however I was relaying what I was told. I do remember the last Border Agency strike was poorly supported as well with no real disruption.

RichHI1
    Participant

Canot believe a local MP asked for LHR to be closed on safety grounds ! I guess it shows you don’t need brains to be an MP (again).

VintageKrug
    Participant

Crucial word missed out:

LABOUR MP called for LHR to be closed during strike

http://www.newssniffer.co.uk/articles/462570/diff/1/2

RichHI1
    Participant

I am afraid I have been on this earth too long to believe that common sense is aligned to or away from any political viewpoint. The key word is politician, left right centre or flip flop.

Binman62
    Participant

RichHI1…..as demonstrated by the inept response of the home office and public statements that controls will not be relaxed….

Charles-P
    Participant

Current status at Heathrow – EU passengers 10 minute delays, non EU about 20 minutes. Approx 50% of Border Control staff working, managers making up difference.

Eurostar – no problems or delays.

Dover Ferry port – no problems or delays

Potakas
    Participant

It appears to be a better day than the average ones at JFK.

VintageKrug
    Participant

BBC reporting the border experience is “smoother than usual”.

RichHI1
    Participant

Flew into T3 last night. We were originally told problems would start at 9pm. Arrived 10.40pm. Signs out for morning separating Eea and row. Otherwise normal service. 1 iris working e-pass switched off, no long lines.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

RichHI1
    Participant

I am confused again by the British media. I flew in late 29th and had excellent IRIS and customs service and from what I read here the experience on 30th was very good. In major part down to UKBA measures, in part due to carriers like AA cutting some flights and in part by pax switching dates. So I am thinking “good job BAA and UKBA”. Then I read that Cameron says strike was “damp squib” so am I wrong to congratulate UKBA and BAA? As I struggle to align these positions we have business leaders saying that big losses to industry and government ministers saying it has caused unemployment. So my experience shows airport did professional job, Cameron says nothing happened and business says major damage for which they want compensation… Where does the truth lie?

Binman62
    Participant

Bottom line load factors down by at least 30% and a number of cancellations from AA and Etihad. Staffing border points with the prime ministers press office staff will have helped but one must wonder how many people got in who perhaps should not.

The contingency plans of the airlines and BAA in my view won the day.

UK PLC probably benefited overall as most strikers, and those forced to take time off to look after kids seem to have gone shopping!.

It is more than a bit rich for this government to claim a single days strike will ruin the country when they themselves gave everyone a day off for very privileged young couples wedding early this year. Did that not do similar damage?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls