not taking 4th leg

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Matt119
    Participant

Hi
    I want to fly Ams -Vegas in business. I had a quick look and BA looks the best bet. However on return I want to get out in London. If I book Ams – Vegas – Lon, then it is more expensive than Ams- Vegas – Ams, even though it is one less flight.
    I understand why this is, so can I just get off at heathrow, and leave the airport, missing my LON – Ams flight and save myself a few hundred euros?
    Any other tips to get round this?
    Thanks

BlackTower
    Participant

Book the full return but on the return leg ask them to only book ypur luggage through to london. Usually you can then pay a drop of airport tax and use the spare leg within a month. Done this lots ex hamburg

Senator
    Participant

Hello,

I recently did this from JFK back to ARN via LHR. After I booked my none-flex CW ticket my plans changed, and I needed to leave from LHR to ZRH. I simply skipped the last segment.

Interesting note: I got miles and TP for the segment I did not use 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This subject of the “4th leg/sector” has been discussed many times before on other threads.

A ticket is priced based on all the sectors.

Sectors can not be flown, usually, (exceptions have been made) out of sequence

If you fail to complete all the sectors on the ticket, the ticket can be repriced resulting in a very nasty shock on your credit card.

In other words, yes you can get out at LHR, yes you do not need to fly the final sector, but be careful, becasue the airline is able to reprice the ticket.

In practical terms, most of the ex-Europe fares I use are not only cheaper than ex-UK, but also more flexible. So I change the 4th sector before my return to the UK, to use as the first sector of my next trip or if I need to go into Europe before a long haul, I will use the 4th sector then and take a chepo Easy flight back.

I do not know of anyone that has had a ticket repriced for not using all the sectors, but I am sure eventually someone is going to confirm that they have had the nasty charge card shock!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

IIRC LH tried to reprice tickets in these circumstances a few years back, the case went to court where they lost. It’s doubtful that any other airline would try unless their certainty of winning far outweighed the potential loss of revenue.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Once my daugter missed the retrun leg of her easyjet flight from Basel to Ams. The lady at Swiss sold my daughter the cheapest possible return ticket telling her she would cancel the return leg after take-off but saving her (me actually!) over €300.

On several of my return long haul flights I’ve gone straight through to train and taken the rail back to Lugano. This has usually been because of the weather (I don’t like bumpy flights, especially in a small plane) but I’ve never had to pay a fare difference.

On another occasion flying ZRH LHR CPT LHR ZRH with BA, I decided to stay in London at the last moment then fly to Milan a few days later. In CPT I was checked through to London without problem and was never asked the difference.

Funnily enough, sometimes the miles were credited, and sometimes they were not. It seems arbitrary.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls