Not so First Class anymore

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• BABenji
    Participant

while it may be a big no-no, i can think of several occasions where i’ve been served a gin and bitter lemon prior to departure. most recently being at LHR en route to SYD and only last friday when departing DXB for LHR.

i appreciate the desire to accomodate passenger requests may often fly in the face of policy/legal issues, but it would appear that there are some CSD’s who take a more cavalier attitude to the matter.

Either way, it’s not the end of the world…i will continue to ask and if i recieve, then happy days; if not, as VintageKrug says the 20min wait is not going to be the end of me.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Personally, I would prefer not to put the cabin crew into a difficult position by requesting one of the non-duty paid drinks.

It’s not just against policy, but also illegal.

But of course, that’s entirely your choice.

I do think this is a lot down to how the matter is handled by the crewmember; setting clear parameters by offering only what is available, and if something else is requested not simply saying “no” but explaining the legal requirement not to open other bar carts before getting airborne.

They can always offer an alternative soft drink, and guarantee the immediate delivery of the preferred tipple once it is safe to move around the cabin; I think in large part it is the *way* in which the message is delivered rather than the message itself which can alienate customers; if there is any criticism at all it is that sort of interaction which can sometimes be less well handled than might be the case.

Let’s hope the investment in crew training enabled by reduction in costs elsewhere will address issues such as this.

NTarrant
    Participant

I recall a lady asking if she could have a glass of wine on a flight in Club some months back. The stewardess politely said “I can get that for you when we are in the air madam, I’ve only got champagne on the achohlic side at the moment” to which the lady said that champers would be fine.

jason1976
    Participant

Definitely, its all in the approach and the way the crew member declines the request. It never hurts to give a brief explanation why. And i’d make sure if I was working in FIRST that the customer that asked for the G&T before take off would get one pretty much as soon as the wheels leave the ground.

To be honest though the ‘cheeky’ ones that do oblige to certain non policy things just make it more difficult for the rest of us. BA is always banging on about consistency and thats what we are trying to embrace. Yet on every flight you find passengers confused by minor inconsistencies. Some think you are being difficult by requesting their hand luggage be put in the locker for take off and landing (the floor area must be completely clear in F/J) because the crew member ‘on the flight over didn’t say anything’. I had one passenger in J on my last trip make a terrible big song and dance because we were unable to serve him a cup of hot tea while the seat belt sign was on. Again, this is a policy to protect the passenger. But apparently on his outbound flight the crew member serving him was happy to do so while the seat belt sign is on. Hence I would also politely decline a passenger a G&T before take off.

These little things just make life difficult for us and confusing and annoying for the customer.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It all goes to show how there are so very many “tiny” opportunities where customers can potentially be, even slightly, irritated.

For a passenger on a longhaul connection, tired and groggy, something like this refusal could be “the last straw” and lead to a long ranting complaint and an avowal “never to fly this airline again”.

There’s something about sitting on a throne-like chair which gives people a sense of entitlement!

That’s why you should always take with a pinch of salt many ranting complaints and hyperbolic descriptions citing inhuman treatment.

I really hope that cabin crew training takes note of small situations like this which probably warrant a disproportionate amount of training, especially as this is likely to be the first proper interaction with crew and could set the tone for the rest of the flight.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

VK is absolutely right, it is often the small incidents that are the tipping point.

I don’t know if I am lucky, but I take enough CW flights to retain a gold card and the service is always consistent and well delivered.

On the other hand, CE is a poor product, delivered inconsistently, by crew who vary from lovely to couldn’t give a ****.

I will not buy it anymore, unless it is bundled with a CW flight.

By comparison, BA’s shorthaul economy is a consistent and acceptable product, just did Lisbon and back and it was a good experience.

I know VK will disagree with me, but my perception is that BA blow hot and cold about CE. On the other hand, they understand the importance of providing a good CW service.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Interesting thread and something I had not really thought about till now. Both Swiss (with hot Canapes) and Lufthansa will serve G+T in F, as well as wine and Champagne while at the gate and well before push-back.. I know SQ do as well.

I would have thought being “airside” the booze would all be duty free anyway so perhaps it’s more of a time/convenience thing for the crew as they board the passengers and prepare the plane for take off?

openfly
    Participant

VK…if you like the soups so much, you can buy them in Tescos. They are the Covent Garden range, in bulk.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And I do indeed enjoy the Covent Garden range for lunch almost every day when not in some exotic hellhole.

BA is indeed “home from home”.

Though obviously I don’t shop at Tesco.

NTarrant
    Participant

Fortnum & Mason VK?

Biggless
    Participant

Sadly I feel that overall I have to agree with the original posting that BA First class is not that special. My wife & I recently fly the HongKong route and apart from the Beef Wellington on the way out it was not a particulary brilliant experience. On Tuesday I was on Cathay Pacific, only Business class on a short flight from HK to Manila. The service felt better than BA First. Even as a mere BA Silver card they took the trouble to call me by name (which they don’t do consistently in BA First) and the food was excellent. The video screen was also much bigger than current First (have not yet been in new First). Walking through the first class cabin I also felt that it was much better than BA. The “cabins” were massive and considering the service in business I can only assume that in First class it must be brilliant. Sorry BA, but like the general slide across Britain as a whole, the service culture is not a patch on Cathay! I would rather my home from home was in a CathayPacific first class seat rather than BA. I only wish they flew from UK to US !

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls