Not allowed to carry a beer bottle in checked luggage?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Returning from Denmark today, I was checking in my suitcase when the SAS check in agent noted it was heavy for it’s size. Yes, I said, I’ve bought some Danish Xmas Ale as Christmas presents for the folks at home. Then came the shock…”you cant carry bottles in checked luggage” she said. I told her that I thought this was very strange and I had never had an issue before, with any airline, at any airport. She then said that the bottles would be removed and destroyed….
    I asked her to wait 10 mins whilst I trawled the SAS website & also the ‘prohibited goods’ site on the net and then asked her to show me where it says beer bottles are not allowed. To cut this short, the bag did go, complete with beer bottles & the good folk of Leeds will get their Xmas pressies.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this or had similar experiences?

StephenLondon
    Participant

I’ve travelled with wine and bottles of spirits in my suitcase on many flights and have never had an issue with it. I would suggest your first mistake was to tell the agent what you had in there – you should have just said some Danish presents for your friends at home and she’d not have raised the issue further. However, you did the right thing by showing what was public information by her airline, rather than permit her to make up a rule on the spot…

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have on several occasions travelled with wine bottles in my case, with no issues whatsoever.

One should always be conscious of the fact they might break or open if in a non-pressurised hold; I wouldn’t risk packing champagne or the sort of beer with a metal cap, which could dislodge more easily. Apart from the issues with your own luggage they could spill over other people’s.

So I can understand her concern, but absolutely there is no “law” against it; perfectly reasonable to point out the risks of carrying these items to you, for you to make up your own mind, not acceptable to invoke prohibition.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Usually squeeze in a bottle or two of Johnnie Walker Blue in Suwanna (Bangkok)and never had any problems with checked in baggage.Also it can be anything up to £50 a bottle cheaper than over here ..so it must be done.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“One should always be conscious of the fact they might break or open if in a non-pressurised hold”

Yes and an asteroid might have the tail off the plane 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls