Norwich Airport Demise?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

The sad news that Loganair has now pulled its vital Manchester link, what will happen to us in Norfolk. Sadly our trains are in such a dire mess that we are almost cut off from the rest of the world. I cannot see why Logan ditched the route because they put jets on it? Paris went many years ago so we have the stranglehold of only KLM to connect to international flights. Would a link to LCY not work?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Just as well Norwich (NWI) has a loyal customer in KLM and users gain global access.

In the past there was a Norwich-Heathrow air link but BA shows no sign of restarting it.

However NWI does have a £10 ‘development fee.’

Airport Development Fee

abots
    Participant

Just as well Norwich (NWI) has a loyal customer in KLM and users gain global access.

In the past there was a Norwich-Heathrow air link but BA shows no sign of restarting it.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=986755]Just as well Norwich (NWI) has a loyal customer in KLM and users gain global access.[/quote]

I mentioned this because there are three regional airports for which KLM has provided loyal support over the years.

These are: Norwich, Humberside and Teeside.

Like Norwich, Teeside also has a development fee although it is cheaper. It is planned to scrap it soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49338849

Once upon a time Teeside had numerous daily flights to Heathrow with Bmi. But these were later axed and no airline has taken them over.

SimonS1
    Participant

Personally I’m struggling to see how anywhere with a half hourly train service to London in 1h45m could be considered as “cut off from the rest of the world”.

I can’t imagine how a flight to LCY would compete with that. Total non starter.

As for the “stranglehold” of 3x a day flights to Amsterdam and one stop connections to half the world, how shocking that is.

4 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=986755][/postquote]

Seriously, why would they restart it.

Any travellers going to London would find it quicker on the train. I doubt the number of connecting passengers would make it worthwhile, they wouldnt fill an A320. Plus Amsterdam has that angle covered.

stevescoots
    Participant

I used to fly out of NWI on KLM to HKG via AMS, then about 5 years ago the prices went silly and have not been back which is a shame as i liked it.

norbert2008
    Participant

The KLM is a lifeline I admit. I had no idea BA had a link before my time (5 years). Yes, KLM prices very high as were MAN Loganair ones. I was trying to say that Greater Anglia having massive problems over the last few months up to 25% canceled.

canucklad
    Participant

Curiosity got the better of me and I’ve done a wee bit of keyboard research ….
    Norwich, Humberside and Teeside airports , pretty much could be described as triplets….
    And why Loganair pulling the Norwich-Manchester route is creating so much noise !

All 3 airports only have 3 destinations ……EDI,ABZ and AMS , plus the helicopter flights
    So in reality the local population are truly reliant on the train to get to other areas of Englandshire !

It’s not hard to understand why KLM, Loganair and FlyBe want to tap into the perceived wealth of the North Sea by inflating their fares.

Now, back to keeping the wheels of industry turning : )

And why on earth would anyone purchase fast track security at any 3 of the airports ?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=986916]I had no idea BA had a link before my time (5 years).[/quote]

As far as I can remember the Norwich-Heathrow service was operated by a regional airline (no longer in business) rather than BA. It was many years ago.

Heathrow has lost many regional routes over the years. At one time there were flights from Birmingham, Carlisle, East Midlands, Teeside and Plymouth (airport now closed).

I know that Greater Anglia has issues with its new Swiss-built (Stadler) trains. However they have now begun operating one of two services from Norwich to London Liverpool Street. Once the issues are resolved the Stadler trains will take over all the mainline London services.

Greater Anglia now operates trains linking Norwich with London Stansted.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/news-desk/news-articles/new-route-extra-services-and-more-seats-rail-passengers-in-east

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed I forgot direct trains from Norwich to Stansted with flights all around Europe and two flights a day to Dubai.

Makes the original post about Norwich being “cut off” even more bizarre.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=986987]Makes the original post about Norwich being “cut off” even more bizarre[/quote]

I’d agree , except for the fact that the journey time and cost ( cheap ticket) is roughly the equivalent of me describing Newcastle Airport as connected to my local community here in the east of Scotland .
    Factor in, that most Stanstead flights are short haul LCC operated and you’ll probably find the train journey is probably going to be longer than the flight and dependant on ticket more expensive !
    I wonder why O’Leary’s lot haven’t moved in yet, surely a perfect fit for Alan Partridge and his dedicated local followers

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=987023]I wonder why O’Leary’s lot haven’t moved in yet[/quote]

canucklad – Good question. It’s simply because the Ryanair boss refuses to operate at an airport which levies a ‘development fee.’

Back in 2015 Ryanair resumed flights from Newquay when the airport dropped its £5 development fee. Remember Norwich charges a £10 fee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-34669539

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=987088]canucklad – Good question. It’s simply because the Ryanair boss refuses to operate at an airport which levies a ‘development fee.’[/quote]

Cheers for the answer Alex –
    Makes the management team at Norwich look totally bullish in their own downfall !

Gas Platforms CHC Scotia Ltd( EO -00125) HKS2 11:00 Landed 10:55
    Tenerife TUI TOM5485 14:55 Estimated 16:05
    Amsterdam KLM KL1523 16:25
    Aberdeen Loganair LM0 16:15
    Edinburgh LoganairLM308 19:50
    Aberdeen LoganairLM018 20:50
    Amsterdam KLM KL1527 21:10

A rather sparse arrivals board indeed, you’d think they’d (Norwich management) have the nuance to understand a FR rotation to Dublin , Alicante (Benidorm) , Ibiza and Polandish would drive more revenue through retail and bar sales etc than the type of passengers that seem to predominantly use the airport just now.

1 user thanked author for this post.

NTarrant
    Participant

I used NWI once when I lived in Cambridge. The facilities aren’t great, it is a bit of an insult to ask for £10 to be paid. If it was included in the fare then people would not notice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls