Norwegian EDI to NYC by B737MAX

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Bath_VIP
    Participant

Interesting article this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/new-york/articles/norwegian-air-to-offer-flights-to-us-for-60-next-summer/

I am surprised the 737 has the range. I know WestJet fly 737s from Glasgow but Canada is a good 2 hours closer than New York.

Also I wonder which New York airport they would use if not JFK or EWR? At first I thought Long Island but would that have customs facilities?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’ve flown OSL-DXB on a Norwegian 738 with the old engines and they left the middle seats open until row 10 (presumably due to weight and balance limitations).

That is a trip of 3,200 miles (with the benefit of tailwinds), so it does not surprise me that the 738 max can leap the pond, EDI-JFK is 3,255 miles.

As to the airports, it depends how one scopes New York (city or state), but there are plenty of options such as Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, McArthur (runways may be a little short), Stewart (lovely long runway, 60 miles south of NYC) etc.

SimonS1
    Participant

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=783177]Has already been announced as Stewart.

Norwegian Makes a Risky Choice to Serve New York City Through Stewart International Airport

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” style=”position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);” src=”http://crankyflier.com/2016/12/19/norwegian-makes-a-risky-choice-to-serve-new-york-city-through-stewart-international-airport/embed/#?secret=U0u2Ls22Ti&#8221; data-secret=”U0u2Ls22Ti” title=”“Norwegian Makes a Risky Choice to Serve New York City Through Stewart International Airport” — Cranky Flier” marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no” width=”500″ height=”282″ frameborder=”0″></iframe>

[/quote]

Thanks for that, Simon.

60 miles south of NYC and no direct ground connection (according to the article), it will be interesting to see how it goes for them and if the combination of UK travellers looking for a good deal and local catchment area the other way will prove sustainable – as the article says, the legacy airlines are efficient providers, so it is not going to be a like for like situation with short haul.

TominScotland
    Participant

Interesting discussion about this from Stateside – constantly talking about BA cutting fares to compete etc. and how Stewart is inconvenient to all but folk from North Westchester County…
    What they totally forget is the value of regional flights from Europe – here in Scotland, competition for unattractive United pricing from GLA/ EDI to New York would be welcome.

There is no mention of Aer Lingus’ route to Hartford, Conn. as a similar remote routing.

BT, FDOS, the map shows Stewart as north of NYC, not south.

icenspice
    Participant

Similarly, Norwegian is looking at secondary airports for the proposed Cork-Boston route:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/norwegian-airline-considers-secondary-us-airports-for-cork-link-434579.html

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=783262]
    BT, FDOS, the map shows Stewart as north of NYC, not south.

[/quote]

My typo – it is north of West Point on the west bank of the Hudson – now I think about it, I may have seen it whilst in the stack for Newark – I do recall an airfield with a very long runway in that region.

TominScotland
    Participant

Another thought is that Stewart would make a great place to start a fly-drive into New England in the fall, away from city congestion.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder whether Norwegian will have links with Jet Blue & Allegiant as Stewart International appears to be a great transit point for Florida. Customs and Immigration should be a breeze…

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I think I have taken the train from Grand Central to that area once before. I don’t know how far the airport is from the railway line but I assume some shuttle bus service could be set up.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Over a year ago we reported on how these narrow-body twin-jets would be changing the face of transatlantic flying.

More developments will be seen with the A321LR which can fly further still.

Airbus quotes a maximum range of 4,000 nautical miles which is greater than the B737 MAX.

Norwegian has ordered 30 of these A321LRs which, according to Airbus, will have a one-class layout of around 220 seats.

http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pressreleases/press-release-detail/detail/norwegian-selects-30-a321lr-for-first-transatlantic-routes/

Edski777
    Participant

Flying in to Stewart sounds a bit like flying in to Sanford, FL, when going to the Orlando region. I have done this once and it was pretty convenient actually. Going through immigration and customs was a breeze with infinitely more pleasant staff than at Orlando International.
    30 minutes from leaving the plane to getting into a rental car. Little traffic around the airport so some time to get used to the traffic situation. An airport with relatively small planes landing and just a few international connections gave me a very welcoming feeling.

If Stewart can offer the same I believe it has quite some potential. Especially as it is in a beautiful part of east coast USA.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls