New York, Central Park – recommendations please

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

I am planning a surprise special birthday trip for my (much) better half to New York (with BA001), 4 nights in town and the QM2 home via Halifax. What hotels would you recommend over-looking / near to Central Park? I have been looking at the Mandarin Oriental but am very open to suggestions for somewhere else. Price is a consideration and the M.O is probably at the top end of the price band I am thinking about.

Edited to add: We will be out and about for much of the time so not planning to spend a massive amount of time using hotel facilities etc.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Last year, I and my fiancee stayed at the Park Lane hotel which is at the bottom end of Central Park. We paid £200 per night but it was a City View room rather than a park view. This price was one of the more reasonable prices around at the time. We had no complaints about the hotel at all and the location was excellent.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Definitely worth taking a look at any deals that may be on offer at The Pierre on East 61st Street – right across from the park!

pheighdough
    Participant

I recently stayed at The Surrey (http://www.thesurrey.com) and it was fantastic, boutique hotel. Only there for a couple of short nights but I’ll be going back for longer soon.

I was there for work, but my wife shopped, god bless her!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’d second the Park Lane, but you must ensure that you pay extra and get a park view room, as the other side – ‘city view’- can be horrible (i.e. a view of the AC units.)

It’s not in the same league as the M.O., but the position is unbeatable.

If your budget will stretch a little higher, the J W Marriott Essex House is also in a great location and is upmarket from the Park Lane.

conc001
    Participant

So many high end hotels there look at the plaza, the Essex house ,ritz Carlton ,trump international. If the QM leaves on its usual Tuesday you may get good weekend rates. Have a great time.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Tom,
    I prefer hotels more mid-town but you might look at The Peninsula Hotel at Fifth Av and 55th St, but no park view, only a short walk but unless you are going in the height of summer, (or winter), the park does not look well. If summer, try Loeb’s Boathouse for brunch, its fairly inexpensive and the food is passable but in summer with the doors open on to the boat lake it’s very good as is the service. First come, first serve at weekends. Have a great time.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Costs aside, the Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula would be my first choices. If you want a little bit of nostalgia, you could try the Plaza (now run by Fairmont), but cannot vouch for quality. I have always found Fairmont to be hit and miss! The location, however is arguably the best.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls