New security check area at Edinburgh

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

GreenScot
    Participant

A new security area at Edinburgh opened on Wednesday and it reasonable to say it is worse than the old security area which I had already thought was dire enough.

I went through it this evening or rather snail trailed through it and in fact it was so busy they held us back from even entering through until the queues had died down. The weird thing is the entrance is now in the restaurant area so there were large number of passengers just standing blocking the pathway down the food area.

It seems they have implemented a similar system to LHR T5 although they haven’t got the workflow right. People have to push their trays onto the roller wheels system in a line of about about 6 people and it just meant a scrum to get your tray ahead of those behind you. And that was after a 40 min wait to get to that point.

The staff were complaining about it and indeed one female staff member complained her hands were getting injured by the said pushing of the trays. It is fair to say the staff were all quite demoralised and the Team Leaders were very frazzled. Also appears to be an issue between the staff and the management as language was very them and us including from the TLs to management.

I realise it is a new system and bound to have teething problems but the airport doesn’t seem to have provided sufficiently numbers of extra staff during the transition. If anything it felt lighter on staff compared to the 4 weeks before I went through the old area at the same time on a Sunday so it wouldn’t surprise me if their new ‘smart’ system has been build around a proposition of reduced staff cuts.

On and the irony is you have to walk past the old empty area once through the new check and what is obvious is there a lot more lanes in the old one.

So the warning is if going through non-fast track at EDI at a peak time then plan in extra time for security, you’ll need it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls