New KLM Crown Lounge opens at Schiphol

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

I know that a good numbers of our readers flying KLM long-haul via Amsterdam.

So I thought you ought to be aware that a new Crown Lounge has opened today.

Full opening will be in summer 2019 when this lounge will almost double in size.

KLM upgrades Amsterdam Crown Lounge

MarcusGB
    Participant

Thank you Alex.

As a regular flying through or into Amsterdam with KLM, i have seen the progressive stages of this new lounge.
    Staff told me “The Cocktail Bar” area will be open into Next year. I congratulated The Senior Manager that was in The Lounge, on the differences already, and he informed me on the progress of the lounge, staged over several floors.

Already, the food concept, with a new Caterer, have produced a Marked improvement in recent weeks.
    Fresher broader choices, good selections of Hot food, Vegetarian also, desserts, and higher quality were being served in The Crown Lounge already when I passed through a few weeks ago.

Looks like this will be a great development for KLM at their Hub, and perhaps considered to be one of the largest, as well as brand new Lounge in Europe, to consider.
    Be interesting to see BT’s Forum Members experiences of this, (or their photos) when they go through compared to other lounges of Other Airlines in Europe.
    This will also serve Skyteam Airlines for Amsterdam, so will be seen and experienced by a wide variety of people, travelling Worldwide on many different Airlines.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

KLM are to be applauded for the way they managed to keep parts of the Non-Schengen lounge open most of the time whilst the upgrades were in progress.

I believe that the completion of the works in 2019 is due to coincide with KLM’s 100th Anniversary year. Although it is the oldest airline operating under it’s original name, it continues to be a progressive and forward thinking airline with commendable customer service levels, long may it continue.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=909853]I believe that the completion of the works in 2019 is due to coincide with KLM’s 100th Anniversary year. Although it is the oldest airline operating under it’s original name, it continues to be a progressive and forward thinking airline with commendable customer service levels, long may it continue.[/quote]

That would appear to be the case with the Amsterdam Crown Lounge.

[quote quote=909781]Looks like this will be a great development for KLM at their Hub, and perhaps considered to be one of the largest, as well as brand new Lounge in Europe, to consider.[/quote]

Well fully opened it could well be the best in Europe.

But not so sure about Boet Kreiken’s claim that this new lounge will be “the most attractive lounge in the world ; a destination it itself.”

TominScotland
    Participant

First time in the new Lounge – lovely, bright space over two levels. Grossly over-crowded, however.

Food offering is rather better than it was in the past although KLM have certainly learnt from BA in that their hot lunch offerings remind me of what many posters in the past have referred to as ‘slop’ at Heathrow – chilli and goulash!!

Will be good to see the full, final product

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m here at the moment. Still not fully open, though the restaurant and bar, and terrace outside is excellent.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Used this lounge in April on way back from HK, great facility! It wasn’t fully finished but the food / seating and service were all on point and for a change, not overly crowded.

Hats off to KLM, they are offering some really good fares (ex Scotland) to a lot of places I fly, I’m currently Silver about to hit Gold status and have to say they are fairly consistent in what they deliver. Not fully aisle accessible seating yet but I just choose the middle seats, got sat next to a lovely chap who flew jets the last time I was with them.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here’s a review of the new lounge

Lounge review: KLM non-Schengen Crown Lounge, Schiphol Airport

and then also the short haul flight

Flight review: KLM B737-800 business class

and the long haul one

Flight review: KLM B777-200ER business class

and for good measure, the Skyteam Lounge

Lounge review: Skyteam Lounge, Heathrow Terminal 4

MarcusGB
    Participant

Thanks Tom, for these great reviews.
    It made good sense to feature the Skyteam Lounge at LHR, through Schiphol Amsterdam, and KLM services.
    I think this provides a greater review of a Journey Experience, rather than a partial one sector, compartmentalised.

All Praise to KLM for the thought, planning and design involved in this KLM CRown Lounge at Schiphol, over a few years.
    It does reflect Dutch design, sense of order, planning and integration of art into the experience not just functionality, and has a “pulse” through it.
    It feels quite alive and a network inside, far from traditional lounges. The zones do make sense after a while, but having said this, some are constantly overpopulated such as Polder Area with food and non alcohol drinks, and the bar area upstairs. These are well used and it would in some ways be very interesting to study where people go during a visit, and record this?

I also have my doubts on the Restaurant area, seen it mostly empty, and it does take up a large area which with the density at times, could be better utilised.
    I am not sure many of us would be sure of time to sit and take a freshly cooked meal, and this would need to fit in with Lunch dinner times for us all. Could you predict if you had 30/40 minutes yr meal being able and comfortably taken by then? I am not sure as an Airline traveller, if i would incorporate plans for a Lunch dinner in full form before i fly? There must be a Psychology behind the use of this, and i think it is not really in tune with what is needed or wanted, though a nice feature.
    The buffet and Fresh cook food is improved in quality, healthier, fresh cooked, far better than many snacks and unhealthy options in many World Airline lounges.
    There is a new Company supplying, the main change on quality / Quantity available, a set vegetarian option, but usually a cheaper meat version.
    It seems strange to have to eat down here, with only a glass of wine / beer , whilst all other alcohol drinks are all Only in the bar upstairs. Equally to have a drink upstairs but not any substantial food.

Overall i feel very proud as a Platinum KLM member and flying with them for 25 yrs, to see this lounge and have the chance to experience it.
    It is if you take the time to look at the colours, lighting, design of space, and the displayed art and history of The Airline, clever, and very pleasant.
    It is a lounge that counts as An Experience on yr travel, and i do put more time aside to arrive early and enjoy it.
    I think it is a great Flagship for KLM, The Dutch, Schiphol, and Skyteam, and one of the most pleasant, fresh, unique Lounges Worldwide just now.

Appreciate the time you took to provide these “Whole Travel experience” reviews, which in themselves are a more contemporary of sector features we had before.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls