New Gatwick Route: LGW-San Juan, Puerto Rico

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yet another new route to add to BA’s growing list of fresh destinations.

This time it’s San Juan. Twice a week from 28 March 2011, year round.

No idea of timings or equipment yet, and it’s not bookable right now either. It may be an add on to an existing route, as I cannot see any spare aircraft capacity at LGW right now using existing LGW aircraft.

Bullfrog
    Participant

I mentioned San Juan in the last note on ‘new BA routes’.

BA previously flew there & ideal for the cruise market.

NewBAexec
    Participant

I reckon it will be a non-stop flight from London Gatwick. Having brought back two B747’s from the desert, used now on the Dallas route (previously B777) and the introduction of the new 777-300 on some routes, release some 777-200 to fly out of Gatwick.

craigwatson
    Participant

it commences 28 March, from LGW via ANU as BA2157 777 AGAIN 3 class WT, WTP, CW. Twice a week Tuesday and Friday, dcepart LGW 10:40 and arrive 16:10, departing SJU 17:40 and arriving LGW 08:50

gregd75
    Participant

What I don’t understand is why BA didn’t do what Iberia did and introduce a ‘circular’ route

LGW – ANU – San Juan – LGW

This way, both destinations will be semi-direct (i.e in any roundtrip there’d only be 1 additional sector flown by passengers), it’d save time and it’d cut out a landing- surely saving airport fees.

I think Iberia is onto a winner here and BA could use the best practice and save a bit of money whilst still satisfying all its passengers!

TominScotland
    Participant

Fair point. This may have to do with crew rostering. Both LGW-ANU-SJU and ANU-SJU-LGW would be too long for one crew. Further,
    with SJU only served twice a week, its not cost effective to have crew stranded there for so long. Presuming that ANU operates more frequently on its own, it makes sense rather to use one crew for ANU-SJU-ANU in between their transatlantic flights.

wanula1
    Participant

They have been able to provide the extension by moving the current Antigua to Tobago extension to the current Barbados flight instead.

This gives BA the aircraft on the ground in Antigua to use for this extension

Also for those flying through Gatwick BA have been using a 4 class 777 on the Bermuda service with the new First.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Are you certain new First is flying from Gatwick? I had not heard that was the case?

Bullfrog
    Participant

A random check on the BA on line timetable shows a 4 class service to Bermuda. Using this config on a few flights to ANU & SJU will be great for those that want F Class to the Caribbean.

VintageKrug
    Participant

First has always been available to Bermuda and Barbados exLGW.

I am very surprised that *new* First is available from Gatwick as it’s only on LHR 777s right now.

San Juan is only rostered on a three class 777, so no First Class at all, unfortunately.

scott70070
    Participant

Stand by for another new LGW route soon to be announced. Not L/H though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls