New flat bed for all Cathay A330 regional fleet

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

CEO Ronald Lam confirmed today “a new regional product on the Airbus A330 fleet will be introduced featuring flat beds in business class.”

Cathay has some 50 of these jets which are used for short and mid air flights and this will be very good news for for many the many regular business travellers who frequently fly around Asia as well as those connecting from long haul flights.

1 user thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

Thanks – is this just the ones without the flat beds or all?

cwoodward
    Participant

Reports indicate all – but there are half a dozen very old frames that I suspect may not -just my opinion

1 user thanked author for this post.

tomyam42
    Participant

Cathay actually had 43 at 31 December, 2023. I cannot find any comment from Cathay regarding how many of these would receive flat beds.

Interestingly Cathay also has 17 older regional 777-300s. No mention seems ever to be made of these but presumably they will be the first to be retired. They must be relatively thirsty although they haul a huge 438 PAX each.

sparkyflier
    Participant

CW – will there be Y+ on these A330s? Would be good if they did and allow for consistency when connecting to/from long haul flights.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I would guess a regional J configuration will be 2-2-2 similar to the lay flat bed format used on Qatar 330’s, perhaps adding Y+ to compensate for the reduction in J capacity?

cwoodward
    Participant

Of the A330 fleet of 43 A330’s eight are parked or in maintenance – two are still long term parked at ALS. One (23yo) aircraft is leased and being returned. All others are owned by CPA.
    Five older (20y+) ex Dragon aircraft feature first class but none are in use and being reconfigured.
    None now feature Premium Economy. None now feature Premium Economy.

cwoodward
    Participant

Sparky _ dont know as a fact but there is no mention and I believe not.

However 3 class A350s or 777s are often used for Bangkok and S’pore flights and show in the schedule. Tokyo Haneda is scheduled as A350 or 777 of course with Premium. Manila can be 7 times daily and is such a short flight that it seldom features other than the 2 class A330.

tomyam42
    Participant

Manila is maximum 6 per day of which 2 are currently A321s

cwoodward
    Participant

More on occasion Tomy – my info can be checked.

david
    Participant

Having flat beds on the A330 fleet is a game-changer for sure! It’s gonna make those flights a whole lot more comfy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls