New Club Suite experience – excellent

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• SwissExPat
    Participant

I have just had a long haul return on BA in the new Club Suite. (Day flight out and return on overnight).

I have to say that this is an excellent (hard) product despite the covid related restrictions. The addition of the closing door to the suite made for a very private experience. I was seated in the row immediately behind the first cabin (2 rows of 1-2-1) and I thought that I’d actually prefer the privacy of the Club Suite as opposed to the open (but larger) first seat.

Only negative on the current restrictions was that my outstation’s lounge was closed, the pre departure drink at seat seems to be suspended and the arrival lounge at T5 was closed (hence no shower and breakfast as would be usual).

If the above had been in place, then the whole journey would easily have ben my best BA premier ticket experience in excess 20 years. Let’s hope this cabin gets rolled out quickly across the fleet.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

Without wishing to cause any trouble for you, nor for the crew. Can I ask if mask wearing was enforced during the night flight? I don’t want to start a debate here about the pros and cons of wearing masks, particularly when they can be removed when eating and drinking – just would like to know the current situation.

1 user thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

When I was in first a month ago, the crew actively said no need to wear masks when in seat – the cabin only had 3 people in. I and one other did wear a mask most of the time but the crew in the galleys did not.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SwissExPat
    Participant

On my flight once I was lying in bed with the door closed I dont believe I was fully masked and this did not seem to be policed.

maxgeorge
    Participant

BA 192, DFW-LHR on Aug 11.

Nice to have 1-2-1 seating, by no means the standard on BA, and in the new Club Suite set-up – which mainly seems to mean a chest high divider across the seat entry.

A little narrow at the feet end, but comfortable enough for a good nights sleep.

Which, however, was shortened by the crew not serving dinner for so long into the flight that I had watched an entire movie before it arrived.

Plus, of course, the T5 arrival lounge is still closed.

So not particularly impressed.

4 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Tom Ottley did a very good video review of the Club World Suite way back when (pre-Covid). You can find it on YouTube. HE was also suitably impressed.

In Accra, the 777-200 is the default aircraft, but it seems to be quite regularly substituted for an A350. We are due to fly again on 24 September and I was recently informed that they have switched aircraft so we will be in the suite rather than in the tired old business class. As well as the size and privacy, I think the other big positive is the bigger and better screen, which is flush so that you can watch from the moment you board, until you land. nd of course, aisle access for all and no one clambering over your legs in the middle of the night.

In response to BugAdvisor’s question, I know that I fell asleep twice and my mask fell off. No one tried to wake me up to put it back on. For the rest of the time I made sure I always had at least a glass of something to hand, so I did not need to wear a mask.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Shamsh1
    Participant

The new Club Suite certainly is an improvement, compared with 7 across in “normal” BA business class – for the same price. To avoid the hassle being pent-up in BA’s 7 across, I changed for long haul flights to Qatar, offering luxurious business suites already for long, combined with excellent food and service.
    So BA’s catching up with other airlines was long overdue and by no means something outstanding. Were are the times, when BA set new standards in business class, when offering flat beds …

SwissExPat
    Participant

My main point in the review is that the Door to the suite is what makes this Suite such an excellent product.

As it stands it seems that BA is (possibly) the only main carrier to offer a closed suite in J/C. The privacy is excellent.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Our upcoming flights from Accra to London on Friday, and the return leg on 19th October, were originally going to be on 777s. Both legs have now been switched to A350s. So I am a very happy camper. Although to be fair, the return flight is an afternoon one, so the old herring-bone business set-up was actually quite good for chatting to Mrs Smith over a few G&Ts. Even with the sliding partition down, the suite format does not provide the same level of eye contact.

Anyway, we will see how things go at check-in, on board and at T5 in three days time. I’ll report back!

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

not that it has the suites, but i wonder if BA may add the A380 to some US routes (as demand surges)

on the suites and masks, on Qatar in December last year from Auckland to London, in q-suites, i did not wear the mask whilst in the suite with the door closed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls