New Campaign .. as shown by Business Traveller

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

Bullfrog
    Participant

I thought the new Virgin Atlantic advert was very creative. It had no reference to the superb Upper Class, and heaven only knows how Y class passengers cope these days. The advert was well made & professionally compiled.

IMO Virgin often fails on board with the loud & rather coarse quality of the cabin crew. This is reflected in the advert where a cabin crew member is heard saying in a real Essex tone ‘Is that Linda ?’ to which the reply comes in a similar voice ‘nah, she’s in Miami’.

How to ruin a good advert !

lloydah
    Participant

On the other hand the end of the ad brings us “down to earth” again. I think it’s a great tongue in cheek advert, shows us little or nothing of what to expect on board but keeps your eyes glued to the screen. Demographics at play, presumably.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I was really impressed. It taregtted all the major social groups, highlighted the “glamourous” aspect of flying and was at the same was self effacing.

http://www.facebook.com/virginatlantic

It will be interesting if their new Upper Class Suite will address the annoying design issue of having to get up when converting the seat to a bed.

Bullfrog
    Participant

“Different strokes for different folk” …

“bringing one down to earth” is one way of putting it on the VS advert. There are many other ways that could have been achieved.

I am a fan of both BA and VS .. I have no problem ‘getting up’ to turn the VS seat into a bed. I sleep so well on the VS bed & the herringbone seat plan is acceptable. I won’t fly BA Club World purely from the sense of being crammed in 8 abreast. BA long haul for me means First …

BA staff have a level of professionalism which for me, is better than VS tacky loud ‘oh blimey’ style staff. The professional level of BA staff must not give rise to an ‘aloofness’ which I have seen in some.

As I said at the outset, ‘different strokes for different folk’ …

Here’s the link to the video and a few stills on our site:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/virgin-ad

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

Looks like the VS uniform has had a refresh with a paler purple tie for men, a smaller neck-scarf for women along with red shoes which they haven’t had since the original 80’s version of the uniform.

tiggerbrown
    Participant

JeremyB – think you need to watch again coz as soon as I saw the Martini & the cloud being pulled over the passenger lying down I thought of Upper.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

It is a very stylish and sexy advert.

That said, it is so abstract and detached from reality that it would not in anyway entice me to fly Virgin Atlantic.

I have flown VS a few times and whilst they have got me to destination safely, have been underwhelmed by the lack of sophistication of their crew, in complete contrast to the image portrayed in the video.

Agree with Jeremy B about the BA crew and would like to say that in a number of bmi long haul flgihts, their business cabin crew have been excellent.

flyingbunny
    Participant

I think this is brilliant. – does not need to show the product because if they can make ads as smooth as this you don’t have to worry about being in good hands. I think that’s the idea – the Linda comment makes it work – otherwise it would be as self indulgent as the M&S food adverts.

Bullfrog
    Participant

I fly both carriers ..

Maybe the ‘scientist’ in me wants to see hard facts .. the seat & what it will offer. Watching the cloud being used as a blanket is exactly what it depicts … ‘head in the clouds, daydreaming’. It shows me nothing about ‘the product’.

IMO, where BA is ‘classical, British, more traditional image’, Virgin is ‘funky, modern, nouveau, ‘lets be different’, more cosmopolitan, younger’.

Somehow I’ve always found the Virgin staff to be louder, ‘more Essex’ …
    less sophisticated. On a recent VS flight, I had just finished a lunch meal in Upper Class. After 2 medium size glasses of red wine, the flight attendant cleared away the meal service and felt proud that she could then fill my 3rd glass to the brim .. not my idea of drinking wine !

(Virgin is to

Hippocampus
    Participant

Whatever you think of Virgin in actuality you have to admire their chutzpah in running this campaign.

BA’s advertising of the past few years has been very lacklustre.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls