new baggage tracker GEGO – test

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Now acquired a replacement for Trakdot, which went out of business last year. The firm indicated they had a tie up with a new company, but the promised launch product never materialised. One of the reasons Trakdot failed, was due to it being a 2G compatible product.

I came across GEGO recently, which is manufactured by LUGLOC inc.

The picture shows its size and the blurb that came with the unit confirmed it was ‘compliant with air transport’. No need to keep on buying AA batteries, the unit works on an internal battery charged by a USB cable. Simply press the button top centre and the unit switches on and the unit finds its position.

I dropped the unit in a travelling golf bag, which was being checked Orlando – Chicago – London Heathrow. It is both apple and android compatible. Coming into the airport zone of Orlando, a text message is received to confirm position. This is supported by a map on the app, which is pretty accurate.

Checked the golf clubs in and was able to watch the bag move around the airport. It is not pin point precision accurate, but it does show the general area the bag was in.

Received a message in Chicago the bag had arrived, confirmed on the map and also on arrival at Heathrow.

There is also a feature that allows you to receive a more accurate reading (Proximity Radar) when the unit is within about 30 feet of your phone.

Battery life is good for at least 72 hours. However, to enhance battery life. you can reduce the number of reports the unit sends. So if you set the unit to maximise battery life, i.e. reduce the number of position pings, you may not get a bag arrival message in a timely fashion.

The unit did work and gave me reassurance the golf clubs arrived and transited in Chicago and that they arrived at Heathrow.

My only worry though is as trakdot failed because 2G died Eventually 3G will go the same route but perhaps next time round, luggage itself will have tracker units built in.

The only missing feature from the trakdot unit, is trakdot enabled 5 different numbers to receive an arrival text or email. Gego only allows 1 number to receive a text.

All in all I would recommend and just to confirm I have no relationship with the company.

Available through Amazon or direct from Gego in the states.

Cost – a hundred dollars + annual subscription..

7 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t know if it is airline specific but Emirates only allow smart bags like this to be checked in if the battery is removed and carried in the cabin. It seems the battery in such devices (presumably it is lithium?) may be a concern.

Some reference on IATA website too.

https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/ops-infra/baggage/Pages/smart-bags.aspx

I note they say “compliant with air transport” (they would, wouldn’t they) but if more airlines go down this path the idea may be redundant for other reasons.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=983108][/postquote]

Indeed, I think most people are aware of that, however is any of that specific to smart bags? That is what we are debating here.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

https://support.gego.io/hc/en-us/articles/360004132253-Is-GEGO-compliant-with-the-new-FAA-regulations-about-lithium-batteries-

According to the GEGO website, referenced above, the unit is safe for air travel and FAA compliant.

Just to clarify something in Simon’s post above, the unit is not part of a smart bag. It is a standalone unit, with a lithium battery, but below the maximum permitted power level which would ban it from air travel.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls