New BA club world seat… ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

If as a poster suggested last week, the new BA club world seat will be launched next year (sounds better than 2019)

Interesting presentation from Alex Cruz….

…does anyone have any factual information what it will look like or any USP’s..

Not looking for thoughts rather facts.. because if it really is going to be launched next year, the designs, final shape, benefits, must be already known….

Interested in any ‘classified’ intel…. or is it likely, BA may just continue with the old seats…. (except of course on the new 350/787)

StephenLondon
    Participant

Interesting question, Martyn, as you’re asking for ‘classified’ information on an open, public forum. I doubt you’ll get it as those ‘in the know’ all have NDAs signed with BA and/or any designer, seat manufacturer or lawyer involved in the process. It isn’t worth their jobs, houses and assets to share commercially confidential information in this way, thus I can only assume you’ll get lots of speculation, aspiration and <thoughts> but little fact.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Martyn, I’m always hopeful but I own a large hat and I will eat it publicly if:
    1. BA put a new Club World seat on all their aircraft, and/or
    2. Any new Club World seat is as comfortable as the business seat of other airlines.

*I am not holding my breath
    *Meanwhile I keep glancing out of the window looking for pigs flying past

Mscott
    Participant

I was at a presentation where AC did a Q&A towards the end of last year. When asked on the new seat he said the following:
    – It’s more likely BA will go for a modified off the shelf version than the original plan of a patented version.
    – It will provide direct aisle access to all seats (which I guess rules out at least one Vantage design (that MH and several other airlines use).
    – that avoiding the ‘UA Polaris trap’ is imperative. He explained what he meant was that launching a new product in a haze of fanfare and months later only one or two of a hundred plus long haul aircraft have the seats installed.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=865095]– that avoiding the ‘UA Polaris trap’ is imperative. He explained what he meant was that launching a new product in a haze of fanfare and months later only one or two of a hundred plus long haul aircraft have the seats installed.[/quote]

Wasn’t that the BA New First trap?

Flightlevel
    Participant

Two new designs were patented a year ago and they were considered for the A350, and reports have said a BA version of the EK business seat “with less bling” being off the shelf may be chosen.
    StephenLondon is right, for now it maybe confidential?

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=865190]Two new designs were patented a year ago and they were considered for the A350, and reports have said a BA version of the EK business seat “with less bling” being off the shelf may be chosen.
    [/quote]
    AusBT just published an updated article on this subject – my bet’s on a modern version of the original and oldest flat bed. The current ying/yang!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The last I heard (and not from an authoritative source) the idea was ying-yang, 8 across, but slightly less dense, to allow all seats direct aisle access.

But who knows? What I am certain of, is that those in the know will be bound by NDAs.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

This saga is starting to resemble “the new London runway”: years of talk and speculation resulting in… Actually, I’m starting to think that we could have Parliamentary approval sooner on the former than the latter prospect of a new CW seat. Besides, AC seemed rather more interested in onboard connectivity than in any new hard product.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

BA have had some great ideas in the past. Personally I think it is a shame they didn’t develop this idea, which showed true inventiveness and ‘outside-the-box’ thinking.

Unfortunately, it seems that BA’s days of true innovation are over – and I am not just carping here, I really do feel that the flag carrier of the nation that has brought more innovative travel ideas to the world than any other could do better (sigh).

I have been involved in airline research programmes before (including at the top end a new J seat and, most recently and trivially, an amenity kit) and it is absolutely true that NDAs are produced. Even for the amenity kit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls