New Amtrak food service=bad

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• cz unit
    Participant

Read the BT article about Amtrak changing food service. Am currently on Capitol Limited, Sleeper service. Dinner was *terrible*. The food is basically microwaved, half burned and half raw. Dry overall, do not get braized beef.

Everyone at dinner seemed to feel likewise and that Amtrak’s head needs to be fired. Bring back better food ASAP, this is not a Millenial thing, this is cheapy, creepy airline food.

Fortunately West coast trains still have real food. 2 days of this would be a nightmare on wheels.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Hmmm – sounds like typical everyday American food…..

capetonianm
    Participant

That’s a bit unfair. I’ve enjoyed some excellent meals in the USA, the difference being that it was in restaurants where I had a choice of where and what to eat. On a train one is a captive audience.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Having spent my working life in the international food industry and 30+ of those in the US, I do tend to be very critical of food in general and as an insider I think I am qualified to say that the US is in general (there are wonderful,but usually very expensive, exceptions) a disaster.

Otte
    Participant

Indeed terrible .Comparing the same McDonalds meal in TLV and FL,( just used as a comparison that goes across the board) the chicken McNuggets were dripping oil in FL,while very dry in TLV.
    ‘Deep fried’ Is the name of the game,strong spicy sauces used almost with every dish,and the huge amounts of food contribute to eating too much.( my fault,but no need to load a plate with food enough for 3 people)

I know there are plenty of great restaurants,but the chances of getting a decent nutrious meal while on the road is nil.
    Unfortunately one night spent in a hospital due strong headaches ended with a healthy breakfast of fried French toast in cinnamon flavor ,a slice of fried pork sausage,a sweet cream cheese…and that’s in a HOSPITAL!
    Nothing fresh,all sugar and oil.That sums the general approach to food.
    My stay in the US consisted of Heartburn from start to finish.
    Plus the results of that ‘ diet ‘ is well noticed looking at the local population.
    It seems like healthy food is only for the rich.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Maybe I have had better experiences because I don’t eat in the big ‘chain’ restaurants, let alone ‘fast food’ outlets. Or maybe I just have different criteria.
    ‘De gustibus ….’

FrDougal
    Participant

Just remember that we’re talking about the nation which classifies Mac & Cheese as a vegetable.

barnacles
    Participant

Meals on our two Amtrak journeys three years ago were awful, and came with plastic plates and cutlery, adding insult to injury. The staff had an aggressively unhelpful attitude, as if we should be doing them a favour by dining and travelling. The rolling stock was ancient, and suffering from severe under-investment. 2 out of 10 as an experience (even the tired old Blue Train, on which I travel every year, gets more like a 7 or 8 out of 10 in my book).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls