My New Favourite Travel Device

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• pointyendpreferred
    Participant

Until now I had a wallet full of sim cards and had to go through the tedious process of changing sim cards and ensuring they were topped up so I could use them when I needed them and that they didn’t expire.
    The GlocalMe G3 is easy to use and just works.

I just arrived home from a cruise around Northern Europe and a week in London. My home mobile company could have covered me with a package but then I would have needed a different package when I reach the UK. Of course you pay for the convenience but I think it is cheaper than other similar personal hotspot wifi devices that use actual sim cards (vs. a virtual sim for the G3) and I think are old fashioned in comparison.
    The GlocalMe was easy to set up and their excellent Customer service promptly answered all my questions.

3 of us have 4 devices hooked up and it is no problem.
    I LOVE this device and am happy to recommend it.
    I have no connection with the company whatsoever except for being a delighted customer.

SwissExPat
    Participant

So, is this something you simply use on your iphone via an APP or do you need to have a actual ‘Hotspot’ device (provided by them?)

I was interested to see that a 365 day pass for 1GB for Worldwide use was priced at 29 Euro.

Thanks

pointyendpreferred
    Participant

I bought the hotspot device from Amazon UK and had it shipped to my first stop in the EU (Copenhagen) so I wouldn’t have to pay duty (I live outside the EU).
    It came with 1GB for global use. When that was finished I purchased another package on the GlocalMe.com website.
    I intend buying an annual global package but you can only do that on the 1st of each month (no idea why!).

https://www.amazon.com/GlocalMe-Hotspot-Upgraded-Worldwide-International/dp/B072KKF37M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1535644253&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=glocalme+g3+4g+lte+mobile+hotspot%2C+upgraded+version&psc=1

https://www.glocalme.com/

stevescoots
    Participant

Could you use their sim in another device?

I use another phone as my Hotspot. Excellent Blackberry Key2 as my UK and main phone, and carry an old dual sim Samsung note 5 which has my China sim and in the other slot a local sim for places such as VN

nibbler
    Participant

Those data prices feel expensive; though im more a 1-2Gb a day person so perhaps that distorts my view. Roaming from a UK registered phone is generally very cheap; on my vodafone sim i get free roaming in europe and 77 other countries (including USA, Aus and NZ)- though annoyingly Singapore and Hong Kong are 6 pounds a day to use my standard monthly allowances.

After that though; given how easy it is at most airports to pick up a prepay sim card (with vending machines or just piles of free cards on tables becoming ever more prevalent) I struggle to see the benefit of these dedicated data devices with their pricey data.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls