Munich closed by heavy snowfall today (December 2)

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Munich is a major hub, not just for Germany, but also for areas in Austria and Switzerland.

So closing the airport has major ramifications for global travel.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Aviation expert Andreas Spaeth has just post this photo via social media.

One wonders whether or not Munich can reopen tomorrow.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Alex – Nothing to do with this topic but I just accidently clicked on Report instead of Thanks on your Norse post. I’m sure it’s been said before but they are very close together and, having done so by mistake, there is no way (?) of me reversing it or then adding a subsequent apology / explanation.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

No problem BackOfThePlane. I thought it was made in error.

As for Munich … it will take some time for operations to return to normal.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The situation remains serious at Munich.

Some flights did operate yesterday but then because of freezing rain the airport shut down and did not reopen until midday today (Tuesday).

Flight schedules remain badly affected.

Euronews.com reports that 1,500 travellers have been stranded there since Friday.

A Munich airport spokesperson confirmed that passengers have been spending the night in the terminals “including some more than once.”

As I noted above Munich is Lufthansa’s second hub and, besides Germany itself, also serves areas of Austria and Switzerland.

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023/12/04/munich-airport-tells-passengers-to-stay-at-home-as-flights-cancelled-due-to-heavy-snow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls