Mr Al Baker is having a tantrum!

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

LeTigre
    Participant

Just read some interesting news…

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jeMQ-n5swQvtU9GtukHLTuSXeYgA?docId=0bfeac4c2a6347cda580fd35c97d5a66

So not only has he cancelled talks with BA over a partnership but he is also refusing to take the 787 waiting for him. Additionally, he has announced that fuel prices pushed Qatar Airways into a loss for FY2012. He must be having a really bad day!

A few thoughts:
    -Qatar Airways appears to have pulled out of negotiations with BA of its own accord, not Willie Walsh and joining oneworld appears out of the question. Why? I’m guessing Mr Al Baker is annoyed cause Qantas refused to partner with QR, in favour of Emirates. Perhaps, if they had got a partnership, he may have more easily joined oneworld.
    -At the moment, everything is going the way of Emirates. A partnership with Qantas has been signed, a partnership with AA appears on the cards after bankruptcy protection is exited, but perhaps Tim Clark is gradually working his way to a larger prize: BA and the London market. It looks increasingly like he will get his way. Imagine BA and Emirates, two of the biggest international network carriers- a fearsome combination.

Any thoughts?

VintageKrug
    Participant

😉

Vertrek
    Participant

“biggest international network carriers”… BA networks is the smallest among the 3 Europe Giants or 4 Europe giants if you include KLM.

Perhaps, EK will one day join oneworld. Eventually they will need a partner in EU, and BA, IB, AY, and AB would fill that gap.

Str8Talking
    Participant

Veering off topic here, but what I find quite interesting is that Emirates have very clearly realised that they cannot have world domination on their own. They may not want to join an alliance, but they certainly cannot do it alone – and that’s during a relatively stable time in the Middle East.

Back on topic, reading the article, Al Baker is not saying there will not be a partnership (not just talking about BA here – partnerships in general), but that there are no talks of a deal. Partnerships can mean many things. It’s not just a certain Sir that likes to stir media interest in the aviation industry!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry, but from the article I can’t see he’s having a tantrum. Star8 makes a valid point but if the world is going towards splitting flights a la EK/QF tie-up then QR could probably do fine on its own. Better in my opinion to stay with one carrier than split to two.

However, I do think QR have better timings and stopovers at more sociable hours than do EK, at least on the routes I fly.

oasis1221
    Participant

QR had grown too big too fast without time to absorb the consequences.In addition,the fares are not competitve anymore with heavy concentration on hauling army of Asian labourers and maids flying with deep discounts next to full fare paying economy passengers.
    I should also finger point with this practice of No discremination to other Gulf carriers like GF,EY and EK.
    Only solution is to implement 4-class B777 or 3-class A330.

poisonedcabinair
    Participant

A Health warning always comes when dealing with the mercurial ‘Poison Dwarf’ as he is known to have some very strange behaviour according to members of the airline and the press who have observed him.

Perhaps Willie Walsh might endure the same fate as one of his ex-employees if he displeases the ‘Poison Dwarf’ see below:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1038893/British-airline-boss-locked-solitary-25-days-arrest-spying-Middle-East.html

BTMEEditor
    Participant

As someone who attended the conference, and has seen Mr Al Baker address the media on many occasions, I didn’t get the impression he was especially agitated or “having a bad day”. He didn’t go into much detail with the Dreamliner, but otherwise I thought he was his usual open self…and yes, he said nothing to report about alliances (so I didn’t report it).

I’ve tracked down my notes about the financials.

“We had a very small loss because of the huge increase in the oil price, which was faced by most of the carriers. If you look at the statistics, every single carrier who was profitable had a slump in profit of in excess of 80%. Qatar Airways had modest profits as we are expanding aggressively and this needs a lot of investment. The return on investment doesn’t happen instantly.

“Our performance on an operational level, on EBITA level, we were 47% above the previous year – but on the net level, we made a small loss in 2011/12.

On EK/QF tie-up. “Emirates has been a very dominant carrier. I think it was a very good idea from Mr Joyce and Mr Clark to partner together so they could become even more stronger in their markets.”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls