Moxy, Dublin – review, November 2019

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

As my usual hotel brand was charging ca. €800 for the night, I decided to try another hotel brand. Moxy caught my eye on the Bonvoy website, especially the €135 per night charge. I was only going to be in Dublin for 1 night and I was alone, apart from my client meeting.

Taxi from airport to hotel 25 minutes. First impressions on entering the hotel, a budget, hip hotel, swathed in purple…

Check in was fast, offered hotel signature cocktail as a welcome drink (not my cup of T).. Was told about the Bonvoy benefits (free breakfast or Euros 10 bar credit) and had the now obligatory E50 hold on my card. I really wonder why this is necessary when my card details are available in the Bonvoy account and I am sure there must be some wording in the T & C’s about any unpaid amounts and the hotels ability to claim via my noted charge card.

The Good

• Amazing position 50 metres from O’Connell street. Spoilt for choice re restaurants, bars and nightlife. Sadly, though it was chucking it down, so didn’t go very far

• Very clean hotel. Apparently, it has only been opened for a month or so

• All staff (ooppss sorry Crew) were very polite, not in your face and genuinely looked pleased to be working in the hotel. Everyone said hello, a chambermaid even came out of a room to say ‘good evening’ and introduce herself

• Very functional room. Bed, shower, chair. Hanging space was an iron grid with 4 hangers

• Plenty of plugs

• Wifi was a good speed and worked well

• Bed, slept for 8 hours. Excellent

• Breakfast – first impression was it looked a little light in terms of offering. But it contained everything I needed. For those who like a cooked breakfast, you will be disappointed, but the cold offerings were enough for me, once I found them. Coffee was excellent

• The centre of the hotel is a large open style space with a variety of tables, board games, check in / bar area and quiet areas. All very functional. I used the same space for my meeting, breakfast, late night drinks and office work/email catch up and general getting up to date with the days events. A large TV dominates one end of the room – sound was on, but not at a disturbingly high level

The Bad

• If you like working in your room this is not the hotel for you. No desk area, no work chair

• You need to live out of your suitcase. No drawers or cupboards except for the hanging space and 4 hangers. To be fair, this did not really affect me, but it may bother others

• The lighting was poor, although I did like some lights coming on via a sensor if you had to get up in the middle of the night. Would probably wake a room guest up as well, but the idea is very good

Summary

A functional crash pad for one or two nights with everything needed (for me) under one roof and in a very well-designed space. Price point very acceptable for Dublin and an excellent position. Crew were all polite, smart and helpful.

Would I recommend – Yes

Would I use again – Yes

Cost – Euros 135

3 users thanked author for this post.

NorskSaint
    Participant

Thanks Martyn. This is well timed as I’m also staying there next week for a couple of nights given hotel rates were north of ridiculous for my normal hotel.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Very useful. I am staying at the Moxy in Times Square in 9 days time and will report back.
    Tom

DKB
    Participant

Great location with the Luas there too.

I am somewhat local and for me four nearby pubs, Confession Box, Sackville Lounge, Pipers Corner and Briody’s, all within 100m, are amongst the best in the City.

richardofFrancepp
    Participant

I hope that the hotel is better managed than the MOXY at Stratford ion London. There it was a terrible mess and to cap it all the management offered me a free night for the next stay which for no reason was withdrawn by a senior management by email and no further response. TheThe group has now lost nearly 40 nights reservations but obviously don’t care

capetonianm
    Participant

I will be interested to read reviews of the various Moxy properties. We nearly stayed at the Vienna Airport one in March but after looking at some of the reviews which mentioned tiny rooms, poor internal soundproofing, and a rather ‘millenial’ style, decided to opt for a more ‘traditional’ property and stayed at the NH which although I don’t like the brand, was very good and convenient.

thebigseats
    Participant

Stayed at Moxy Stratford, London once. Never. Again. Faux hipster nonsense. It was “party night” in the lobby when I was there. Sound proofing barely adequate. Lighting in room awful. AC ineffective. Breakfast basic & zero service. A sad “concept” thats a little like a budget W Hotel (which should tell one enough!) Once bitten!

NorskSaint
    Participant

Well this is my third stay at a Moxy and I have to say its has to be my last. Agree with all the comments above and as the supposed target market i.e a millenial, I can’t say it appeals to me either. I stay over 100 nights in Marriott properties and cannot abide this new party style lobby area – can they not just give me somewhere quiet to work instead I have to sit in the lobby with headphones on trying to block out the racket!
    Combined with the lack of decent coffee, rubbish breakfast (would recommend Soma, right out the door and right again – 3 mins walk) and quite frankly a terrible dinner. Last night after travelling from the Artic Circle and some meetings unfortunately choose to eat in the hotel restaurant between calls. Had to remind them I ordered after 30mins and then the most dry, sorry looking Cottage Pie arrived. I’m not expecting Michelin star food, but something that even SAS would be embarrassed about is not where I expect a hotel to pitching.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Reported as advertising.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls