Most Pompus Passenger

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 100 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Back off, Papillon! Aint nobody getting their hands on my choccy fondant;)

Stringfellow
    Participant

I have been an occasional reader of this forum for some time but this subject has prompted me to create an account and comment for the first time because of a recent experience

A few weeks ago I flew back from Dubai, business class with British Airways. In front of me was perhaps the most pompous, rude, loud mouthed individual I have experienced in twenty years of flying.

It started at the gate where he asked if business was going to be full as he liked “peace and quiet”, he was informed that all seats were taken prompting him to ask if some other passengers could be moved to Economy so he was not disturbed ! This was of course refused.

As we began to board he stayed behind having a loud conversation on his cell with some poor secretary who has failed to measure up in his eyes, after a few moments we all heard him making his way down the jetway,

“Make way there, Business Class, make way”

Inside the aircraft there began a near ceaseless list of complaint,

The cabin was too hot
    The drinks were not bought fast enough
    His seat was broken (it wasn’t he just had not followed the instructions)
    The films were a poor choice
    The food was cold (it wasn’t)
    The wine was the wrong temperature
    The earphones were uncomfortable
    The blanket was too small
    The seat was too low ! (no I didn’t understand that one either)

As we landed he was of course the first out of his seat and actually dropped somebody else’s bag on the floor while retrieving his, he stopped looked at it and then sat back down to collect his belongings. We began to disembark and he actually started to push his way past people while loudly saying,

“Do you mind, I am in a hurry” This was the last straw for one passenger who like the rest of us had put up with this fool for the entire flight, turning to him he put a large hand in his chest, pushed and said,

“Shut the F*** Up ! To the enjoyment of everyone he fell flat on his back and became wedged between two seats. The rest of us stepped over him and left him still shouting.

canucklad
    Participant

Stringfellow…”Shut the F*** Up ! To the enjoyment of everyone he fell flat on his back and became wedged between two seats. The rest of us stepped over him and left him still shouting.

I’m hoping the person who told him to………..had a Scottish twang or secondly Irish? It just sounds more commanding, threatning in a dismissive manner than any other accents.

I wonder if these types are self aware of their buffoonery..because it doesn’t take too long before you come across a self important ******.

My favorite was the guy who demanded that the reception staff arrange for his bed to face the opposite way, so he could have a more relaxed sleep which he had paid for ?

Stringfellow
    Participant

Judging by his accent he was Canadian.

I really do not think these people understand they are being rude.

Some years ago my sister and I were having dinner in Paris and we heard an American couple loudly pass comment on the appearance of nearly everyone in the room including us. When my sister reacted to this (they had forcibly described her dress as “dull”) they were outraged and she was told that theirs was a private conversation and that she was very rude to speak to them.
    They later moved on to making comments about the staff, some of them quite unpleasant however my sister had her revenge as when we left she passed their table and said,

“I wonder what those people you commented on did to your food in the kitchen” They both stopped eating and starred at their plates.

—————————————-

In reply to ‘canucklad’ above; my wife informs me that I turn into Fraiser Crane when pomposity emerges – I can’t see it myself.

More sherry anyone ?

canucklad
    Participant

Canadian accent works just as well….enough soft tonality to not make it sound vulgar and rude….

As an idea for us mere mortals that have to share a confined space with these buffoons maybe the cabin crew should carry anti-social behaviour devices in their kit………i.e a crushed sleeping tablet within their non-bubbly champagne !

canucklad
    Participant

Canadian accent works just as well….enough soft tonality to not make it sound vulgar and rude….

As an idea for us mere mortals that have to share a confined space with these buffoons maybe the cabin crew should carry anti-social behaviour devices in their kit………i.e a crushed sleeping tablet within their non-bubbly champagne !

BeckyBoop
    Participant

canucklad, nah any Irish accent does it for me, can say anything in any tone and still sound sexy! 😉

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Can anyone confirm this story..

It went round on an email trail i recieved earlier in the year.

“On a British Airways flight from Johannesburg, a middle-aged, well-off white South African Lady has found herself sitting next to a black man. She called the cabin crew attendant over to complain about her seating.

“What seems to be the problem Madam?” asked the attendant.

“Can’t you see?” she said ” You’ve sat me next to a kaffir. I can’t possibly sit next to this disgusting human. Find me another seat!”

“Please calm down Madam.” the stewardess relied. “The flight is very full today, but I’ll tell you what I’ll do-I’ll go and check to see if we have any seats available in club or first class.” The woman cocks a snooty look at the outraged black man beside her (not to mention many of the surrounding passengers). A few minutes later the stewardess returns with the good news, which she delivers to the lady, who cannot help but look at the people around her with a smug and self satisfied grin: “Madam, unfortunately, as I suspected, economy is full. I’ve spoken to the cabin services director, and club is also full. However, we do have one seat in first class.” Before the lady has a chance to answer, the stewardess continues … “It is most extraordinary to make this kind of upgrade, however, and I have had to get special permission from the captain. But, given the circumstances, the captain felt that it was outrageous that someone be forced to sit next to such an obnoxious person.” With which, she turned to the black man sitting next to the woman, and said: “So if you’d like to get your things, sir, I have your seat ready for you…” At which point, apparently the surrounding passengers stood and gave a standing ovation while the black guy walks up to the front of the plane.

.. people will forget what you said …. .. people will forget what you did …. .. but people will never forget how you made them feel. “

Goldcardsaplenty
    Participant

BeckyBoop – Re- ‘nah any Irish accent does it for me, can say anything in any tone and still sound sexy! ;)’

OK, try saying ‘Whale Oil Beef Hooked’ in an Irish accent………..

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I dont get it?

canucklad
    Participant

Becky Boop say it out loud in the manner of Mrs Doyle from Father Ted

Papillion53
    Participant

BB – say it really fast! LOL! (by the way, Avon skin so soft working a treat!)

VK – that’s just mean …. 😉 Share and share alike!

Funny stories ….,keep ‘ em coming, entertaining me today! 🙂

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I still dont get it!!! somebody please put me out of my misery btw i find it hard to do the accent.

canucklad
    Participant

Becky..have you read 50 shades of grey yet?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 100 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls