More aircraft and passengers for Cathay Pacific

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Andrew you mention above that ‘capital allocation seems to be focused on expanding HKEX’
    I am interested to know what brings you to that conclusion ? As I disagree with the above.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

It’s good to hear that CX are back on the upswing. After the massive governmental Covid and national security stupidity of the last few years – which led to me and many friends giving up on HK – I sadly doubt that I will be on a CX flight any time soon but it is an airline I have avidly supported and loved for many many years.

The newly refurbished Deck is a great space, and I see now that the Pier F has reopened – definitely my favourite lounge in the entire world. Now that I am happily settled in Gibraltar my comfort is access to the CX F lounge in LHR T3 – at least until my Diamond status runs out at the end of the year!

I am still surprised that CX decided to pull the plug on Dragonair. It was a useful protection in certain countries where the bilateral air services agreements only permitted two operators from each country (which is why KA operated the Bangalore/Bengalaru route – it effectively locked out any other HK airline from flying to India. Although the KA flights were, it must be said, very much the poor relation – I hated flying that route). It was also a good selling point for PRC travellers with the opportunity to fly “First Class” (in the same seats that on CX were business class). I can’t quite see how HKX can fill that gap. I have actually flown HKX, and it was unremittingly dreadful.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Bloomberg is reporting CX is nearing a deal to lease more a321. The CX a321 is a lovely aircraft, I flew on it recently to Taipei, the colour palette and the new regional J seat are a big improvement on the old regional J.

cwoodward
    Participant

These reports re Cathay seeking narrow bodies has been doing the rounds for the past 3 months at least ( if I recall correctly one of the stories sources then also was Bloomberg – possibly if you repeat this type of story enough times it will eventually be correct.) and was posted here as I recall
    The original reports on several aviation and newspaper sites talked about the airline seeking 30 to 40 aircraft and a deal was supposedly close even at that time. The problem was that very few new or young aircraft if any were/are seemingly available and to be honest I cant see that the situation has changed a great deal in the past weeks but its not impossible that a single figure number may be available in the short term if a deal has recently fallen over. Over the years the airline has seldom leased aircraft preferring to buy, but have done so in exceptional circumstances and I am told that there is a greater availability of direct entry pilots for the smaller aircraft also.
    As regards the cabin fit out I much prefer the original Cathay green colourings as I read do many.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cwoodward, Bloomberg are reporting more specific details, 18 a321 on lease, due 2025/27

cwoodward
    Participant

I agree re Dragon Air Ian.

Am sure that it was not done lightly and Swire obviously believed that it was the best way to save CX and the fledgling HK Express.
    For sure it was not an easy way forward as it disrupted so many lives so badly with still a good deal of almost hatred particularly from some the pilot group. Finally a good number of the pilots re-joined to Cathay under the special scheme that Cathay set up and I know personally at least 4 families that have returned who’s offspring returned to AIS school where our youngest is in his final years.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls