Mombasa hotels

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Actually Alexpo, now you mention it, I was hesitant to put this, child exploitation and all that, but find a couple of kids who always hang around hotels or the beach, offer them $5 a day each, plus lunch and the odd coke or fanta during the day. They will be so loyal to you, they’ll keep all the undesirables away, look,after your stuff if you take a swim, fetch drinks and accompany you on shopping trips getting you very good deals in local markets. They’ll be the best bodyguards ever.

Now, you’re probably all thinking exploitation, but by their standards it’s not, and they have such a sense of pride working for a European and earning money. At the end it costs a bit more as I’ll usually get them some shorts or jeans and a shirt (uniform) and give them three (local) meals a day. I’ve had some great conversations learning a lot about them and local life and imparting some of my knowledge of the wider world. I’ve put two kids through school, met some wonderful parents and transformed their lives by buying a second hand fridge and helped another mother set up a small business by buying a second hand washing machine.

So it costs a bit more than $5 a day but knowledge learned and the satisfaction gained from helping others is priceless.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning LP, I like your thinking regarding spreading your wealth with the local community.

Having said that I didn’t see many kids during the day, maybe because Kenyans are very serious about schooling.

I mentioned clothing earlier,and I thank LP for reminding me that filling your bag with stuff that primary school kids would find useful and giving it to the staff to share with their kids will bring you much kudos.

I’d be cautious about the amount. It’s been a few years since I’ve been to Malindi, but on my last visit I was told of by the hotel manager because I tipped the porter with $3 bills. He wasn’t seen for a week.

Alexpo, I’d have a wee chat with your barman to get a better understanding of what a days work is worth to a minor. Your thoughts LP ?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Canucklad, I was basing $5 on S. Africa but that may be a bit much for Kenya. I can’t even remember what I used to give when in W. Africa. So a good idea to ask the barman, but the question should be generic or else he may “suggest” someone he knows, give a higher price and keep it for himself.

The most needed items for schools are exercise books and pencils. A box of 100 books will be about £15 so best to get the concierge to get them locally, but I fear this is us committing Alexpo to a mission rather than a holiday or business trip!

I was due to fly to Mombasa on Thursday but following recent developments on the Kenyan coast I have changed my plans. Many thanks sparkyflyer and the Condor Airlines call centre.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Don’t blame you Alexpo, I was thinking of you this morning as I read the online paper.

I have to go to Lillongwe next month, and was thinking Swiss to NBO or even Mombasa, trying your hotel for a day or two, then Kenyan Airways (assuming that is they fly from Mombasa) to Lilongwe. I’ve now decided to fly Swiss to JNB and SAA back North to Lilongwe. Safer and probably cheaper.

Having said that, it’s quite tragic what is going on in Kenya and the Kenyans should be applauded for helping combat terrorism in Somalia. I just hope the West does not now abandon them but gives them the support they need.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Aleppo
    Like LP, I was wondering whether you’d change your plans and I’m not surprised that you have. These murderers are becoming more and more audacious with their brutal ,vindictive attacks.
    Also agree with LP,and hopefully the civilized world helps our Kenyan friends rid themselves from these religious lunatics.

JohnVachel
    Participant

While us traveling from one place to another we must need to search for the best and comfortable accommodation. So, With the help of online sources we can easily get the info about the hotels with full details.

vacation homes for rent by owners

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just read that Al Shabbab is slowly being beaten. Piracy has virtually ended thanks to a strong naval presence thus seriously eroding their income. On the ground government troops with foreign help are gradually taking back land they’ve occupied and increased intelligence often from infiltrators coupled with infighting amongst the leaders and factions has put a stop to a lot of attacks in E. Africa.

canucklad
    Participant

I’d love it to be the case LP, we’re tilting at windmills in parts of the world who happily want to stay in the dark ages, yet Kenya needs our help to stop those who wish to drag it back into the dark ages…

Unfortunately a German lady was killed this week, and a Russian lady earlier this month.

The Coast Police put it down to local thuggery, unfortunately on top of everything else, the economy must be close to breaking point

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls