Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

I hope the recent pest control thread was deleted due to the OP trying to advertise for free, not because of the ill constructed ‘racism’ campaign against a post by capetonianm.

By no means do I agree with much of what capetonianm posts, but if I chose to argue a point, it would be on a rational basis and not using an intellectually lazy approach such as labelling a post ‘racist’, when it was patently not the case.

There were many counter arguments that could have been used, but were not, as the ‘mob’ started to assemble and jump on the bandwagon.

Anyone who wants to call someone else racist should start by researching the law on what racist behaviour is. I suggest the Race Relations Act 1965 as a good starting place.

Ekond222
    Participant

FDOS – Capetonians’ post was a nasty post which has, no place on this forum – the are other forums available for which CP can and probably subscribes to – as global travellers, we are more culturally aware and tolerant than most.

Mob Rule?…hmm…You seem to be interested in pest control services – good luck to you…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Ekond222, I agree it was a mean spirited post, but it wasn’t racist – some posters were openly stating the comments were ‘illegal’ which was ludicrous.

The thread should have been deleted much earlier, as it was blatant advertising (or phishing) – BT are very slow on moderation, to be honest.

As someone who is a global traveller and culturally aware (nearly 40 years business travel), I don’t see why expressing an anti-immigration view is unacceptable in principle – after all the Leave campaign had a strong component of reducing immmigration to very low levels and over 50% of the population voted for that – are they all racist by association? (I don’t believe so and as someone with a very strong preference to remain in the EU, I’m hardly biased for the other side of the argument).

esselle
    Participant

Whilst I agree the tone of the OP was a tad unfortunate, nothing in it, either expressly implied or inferred, would possibly warrant it being termed racist.

That word gets bandied about far too often these days as a catch-all for bigotry, ignorance and general unpleasantness towards others.

capetonianm
    Participant

I never cease to be surprised at how quick people are to whip out the race card when they have no basis for a discussion. Not long ago, a friend of mine was accused of being ‘racist’ for stating that she doesn’t like Indian food. Such is the extent to which people will jump on the PC bandwagon.

My post may have appeared ‘mean spirited’ or ‘nasty’ to some of you but it was an expression of a legitimate opinion, even if was politically incorrect and unacceptable to some. I find torturing bulls ‘nasty’, and I find some people’s dietary and sanitary habits disgusting, but I don’t consider them ‘illegal’.

I am in favour of immigration when it is legal and qualified. Referring to the people enter Europe illegally as ‘immigrants’ is wrong, since it implies that they have gone through the due processes to qualify as immigrants, one of which is to provide evidence that they are self-supporting at least, and preferably able to contribute to the country to which they immigrate. A classic example of such people is the Poles (and others from central/eastern Europe and the Baltic states) who have migrated to the UK and of whom the huge majority are hard working, educated, and skilled and have similar values and morals to indigenous UK people. They contribute enormously to the quality of life in the UK and enrich the gene pool.

As for the Brexit vote, implying that anyone who voted Brexit (as I did) is racist is an absurdity. Whilst it may be true that some people voted Brexit to reduce immigration overall, to conflate that into a racial issue is nonsense, given that the huge majority of EU indigenous people are racially Caucasian or Slav, or to put it crudely ‘white’.

I probably didn’t see all the replies on the ‘pest control’ thread before it was deleted, but I did see a couple of the pompous and uninformed statements that my comments were ‘racist’ and actionable. I suppose in the same way as everybody becomes an ‘expert’ down at the pub after a few pints, everybody’s an expert on law on these forums. As FDOS said : “Anyone who wants to call someone else racist should start by researching the law on what racist behaviour is.”

An accusation of racism often says more about the accuser than the accused. Since I spend the majority of my life in a country that had racist policies and still does, only far worse now than before, I think I probably know more about this than most other people.

Intheair
    Blocked

I would call the said post(s) racist.

If people,disagree, that is fine. We all have our opinion. So do the Courts.

Anonymous racist postings are cowardly – Much better to stand up for your own opinions publically.

Intheair
    Blocked

Capetomianm

As you live in Weybridge – be a good sport – publish your comments in the Daily Torygraph – they have an email system for letters.

I’ll look out for your letter

Intheair
    Blocked

Ekond222

I don’t know where you came from but if you were North African or from the Middle East – and you were described as a pest and a leech – which is what was stated, you wouldn’t like it.

I perceive that as racism. As a lawyer, in my opinion a Court would state the same, no matter what rubbish some posters claim the law says. If a person describes a race or population or geography in derogatory terms, based on race or geography, that is racism.

I am not sure what race or county you are from, but if our resident South African bigot said all people from your country were pests and/ or leeches, you might have a different view?

capetonianm
    Participant

Intheair : You’re a lawyer now are you? I’m glad you’re not my lawyer.

I’m not aware of a publication called the Daily Torygraph, excuse my crass ignorance, but I googled and it came up with something that’s probably a spoof. I do know about email, so where (you think) I live is quite irrelevant.

As regards your last paragraph, I think you may be somewhat confused, but dishing out insults based on your perceptions and assumptions is not going to get you very far, not in court, nor anywhere.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=818862]Ekond222
    I perceive that as racism. As a lawyer, in my opinion a Court would state the same, no matter what rubbish some posters claim the law says. If a person describes a race or population or geography in derogatory terms, based on race or geography, that is racism.
    [/quote]

From the Equality Act 2010

Race includes—
    (a)
    colour;
    (b)
    nationality;
    (c)
    ethnic or national origins.

capetonianm didn’t state any of these. I read his post very carefully, as I didn’t like it, but on reflection it was not racist.

sailandfly
    Participant

Hi all,

This is my only third post here and I am sorry it is related to such an offensive and vulgar post by Capetonianm.

I am coming from the country which recently suffered 4 years in a civil war and would like no-one to go trough the same 4 years as we did.

Those people he mentions in deleted post are not millions of “pests” but human beings, every single one with it’s own life story. Person who calls “pests” even babies and women, no matter where they are coming from and where are they going is a person I do not want to be around.

Safe travels to all.

Intheair
    Blocked

Capetonianm

If you knew anything about England, I was referring to the Daily Telegraph.

I’m glad I am not your lawyer too.

Intheair
    Blocked

FDOS

As I said, let a Court decide – Capetonianm is too much of a racist coward to say the ghastly Nazi crP he came out with openly

capetonianm
    Participant

Intheair
    You seem like a pretty nasty piece of work and if you are a lawyer, which I doubt, unprofessional too.
    Maybe you would like to publish your name and Law Society roll number to be held accountable for your remarks in a professional context?

I do not have to respond to your abuse since I have no case to answer.

Sailandfly
    You might like to read what I have written to place it in context rather than jumping on the bandwagon.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Closing the thread. Calling another poster racist cowards and then starting another thread saying we allow racism to be published just got you banned anyway, so goodbye.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘Mob Rule’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls