Missing bags due to a re-route and new ticket mid-journey

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• onajetplane
    Participant

Seeking advice. Booked with Qatar to fly Wellington – Sydney – Doha – Dublin. Landed in Sydney (QF) to discover the Sydney departure was delayed until the next day and somehow I was re-routed: Sydney (overnight stay) – Doha (2nd overnight stay) – Stockholm – London – Dublin. I essentially would have missed the wedding I was travelling back for. The desk staff in the QF 1st lounge were fantastic – credit to them given my next flight wasn’t even with Qantas. Essentially told me to go and have a glass of champagne and leave it with them. I was then given new boarding passes Sydney – Singapore – London – Dublin. Wasn’t optimistic that my bags would make it but accepted that fate and was glad to get back even earlier than originally booked.

Now a week later – no sign of my bags – but my issue is no-one seems able to help – presumably due to the complication that somehow Qatar were willing to rebook me on Singapore Airlines mid-journey. My last flight was with Aer Lingus and thus who I filed the baggage claim with. They stated that they know Qatar has the bag but until Qatar release it to them, they can’t do anything about it. Qatar have been a nightmare to contact. No-one on the phone can help. Their online chat is unable to understand the issue and repeatedly tells me to file a claim online (which I cannot as Qatar no longer recognise the booking reference even though I booked direct). They have the function to request a whatsapp chat – and for 2 days now I have been “waiting for the next available agent”.

Any bright ideas as to how to sort this?

onajetplane
    Participant

1st bag was returned 10 days later. 2nd bag is still a no-show. 2nd bag now declared “lost” and have been offered £505 compensation. Thanks Aer Lingus!? Have lost a lot more. I guess moral of story is don’t accept a re-route mid-journey!?

onajetplane
    Participant

77 days later and I got my second bag back. Effort far exceeded hopes/expectation… but at least I got it back!

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1307923]

Well I guess the story has a happy(ish) ending? So long as that bag did not contain your wedding suit and/or some choice cuts of New Zealand lamb and diary products?

2 users thanked author for this post.

onajetplane
    Participant

Thankfully no cuts of lamb! Albeit did have some CookieTime cookies (kiwi fav) that were a request from a 4year old that had expired. I think the more insane part of the story is that it transpires that the bag went from WLG – SYD – DOH – DUB – DOH – DUB – DOH – SYD – DOH – DUB. This part appeared to baffle all that were involved in my attempts to get it back. I think the issue came down to the fact that I had to deal with Aer Lingus as they were the final airline that I flew, yet they had nothing to do with the original ticket and Qatar seemed to keep ownership of the bag/had apparent issues handing it over at Dublin.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls