Minimum time by which to enter airside at London City

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• SenatorGold
    Participant

I’m flying from London City this coming Friday. It’s been a while since I last departed from there. Heathrow (T5 at least) requires passengers to have entered airside no later than 45 minutes before departure. Does London City operate a similar policy?

If not, in practice how long before departure should I aim to have cleared security?

Advice much appreciated,

hawkonaplane
    Participant

The security “cut-off” is unique to LHR I believe. At LCY, if security think you can make your flight before boarding closes, they’ll let you through. Fairly small airport so if you’re hand baggage only and already got a boarding pass, you can plan to arrive 40 minutes before, 30 even.

1 user thanked author for this post.

workandtravel
    Participant

@hawkonaplane is right – London City doesn’t have a strict cutoff like Heathrow. As a small airport, security is usually pretty quick. I’d aim to get there at least 40 mins before just to be safe, especially on a busy day. But if you’re only carrying hand luggage, earlier could probably work too since you can dash straight to your gate.

SenatorGold
    Participant

@hawkonaplane and workandtravel

Thank you, both – really much appreciated. This helps me greatly with planning my time.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Hi Senator Gold. Personally I am always cautious when it comes to arriving at airports and believe in getting there early. Also getting to LCY on the DLR can take longer than you may think. I used LCY a few months ago and the security queue was quite slow – even with liquids and laptops allowed to stay in the bag, as not all x ray machines were being used…

So I would suggest 60 minutes just to be safe..even if you are cabin bag only.

SenatorGold
    Participant

Hi Sparkyflier, many thanks for your advice. I am also an early arriver at airports. You are quite right about the DLR. A few weeks ago when I was travelling from London City into central London service on the DLR was limited and I had to take a circuitous route involving the DLR, Jubilee and Picadilly lines to get to WC1.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A far cry from the day LCY first opened and you could arrive at the airport with just 15 minutes to spare, and still make the flight!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls