Mexico City Layover

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• DNAdams
    Participant

I have a layover in Mexico City airport for about 6 hours between domestic and international flights (12 -6pm). I know the airport quite well and its limitations so would prefer to get out of it for a few hours.

I could spend the last couple of hours in the Admirals lounge but for the other 4 hours I would like to go for lunch and a drink somewhere nice.

In my opinion there is not enough time to get a cab to the centre and back so my question is does anyone have the knowledge or know anywhere nice to spend a few hours near the airport for a decent meal and a drink?

Thank you.

CheerUp
    Participant

Sadly I cannot help too much with any recommendations, but have a similar experince coming up, so hopefully hear some good suggestions.
    All i can confirm is the Admirals lounge is very poor and need of modernising.

ASK1945
    Participant

I had a 5-hour layover about 6 years ago, albeit international to domestic. I was advised – by whom, I can’t remember – not to leave the airport for such a “short” layover, for reasons of security and local traffic.

Maybe it’s better now.

cwoodward
    Participant

It’s been a long time but the following may help although some things will have changed somewhat so checking is advisable.
    I can think of no reason at all not to leave the airport as long as you take normal precautions when out and about in unknown cities. A six hour stop-over certainly offers enough time to see something of this fascinating city.
    If you have large hand luggage that you do not want to take into the city there are as I remember luggage lockers close to the baggage claim area.

If you are interested in food then a great treat is to take a uber from the airport and go straight to the Mercado Roma which is a gourmet market that offers the best of Mexico City´s gastronomic scene though more expensive than your general food stalls it’s a great place to eat and where product, quality, food, architecture,coexist perfectly.
    Just around the corner is the Mercado Medellin a huge Mexican market and a veritable labyrinth of stalls, stacked with chilies, fruit, vegetables,ground spices and brightly coloured Mexican sweets and dried fruit .
    Not interested in food or markets !

The Centro district is where the museums are situated and it’s not far if you don’t have much time. Also close is the city´s oldest market of La Merced selling all manner if interesting ‘tat’.

This as I recall is close to Zócalo square and the modern part of the city and next to the pre-Hispanic capital of Tenochtitlán, Old Colonial buildings and the ruins of the Templo Mayor there is also a museum (who’s name I forget). Parque Alameda is also a good choice for a little green space and next to Palacio de Bellas Artes which some regard as is one of the most interesting buildings in Mexico City.

All of the above would take longer than the time that you have but the first markets will take about 3 hours and the Centro District etc about the same but make sure that you calculate enough time to get back to the airport (check if it happens to be rush hour and if you will need to go through immigration and security checks again.

4 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Any advice sort of depends on whether you can securely leave your hand luggage in the airport?

I don’t have any security concerns about visiting Mexico City (not the touristy / business parts at least) but I don’t think there is any layover where I would want to be lugging around hand luggage / a laptop.

If you do need to take hand luggage with you then I would suggest heading to a restaurant in La Condesa, a lovely, very boho part of the city that is close to the airport (30 mins taxi with a fair wind).

However, if you can get rid of all bags etc then I would certainly head to the Centro Historico, wander around the Zocalo, perhaps take in the Diego Rivera murals, and have a bite to eat.

Please note that Teotihuacán is miles outside of the city.

Happy travels.

4 users thanked author for this post.

gregd75
    Participant

It might be worth looking at the Polanco neighbourhood. If you make your way to Lincoln Park, Polanco, there are some very nice places to eat and you can walk around.

A nice option is the Casa Portugesa but there are loads of choices. Take a look in El Pendulo bookstore, which is fun.

I’d estimate that it would take an hour max to get there from the airport. And an hour tops to get back, you’d have a couple of hours to walk around.

Hope this helps!

workandtravel
    Participant

Hey @dnadams, a few others have given some good suggestions. I’d second looking at Polanco – it’s pretty close to the airport so you shouldn’t have issues getting there and back within your layover. Could be a nice easy option to get a meal and walk around without too much hassle of getting into central Mexico City.

russyyz
    Participant

I’m not sure I’d consider Polanco or Condesa ‘close’ to the airport as it has taken me 30-45 mins in traffic. However, a quick taxi to the Gran Hotel at the main Zocalo will take you to a most stunning building where you could grab a lunch and take a walk and see the very very large flag in the square. Such a proud people.

The interior of the hotel is incredible. And, if it doesn’t work for a meal, then one of the adjacent hotels with a rooftop bar/restaurant will work.

Then you can get back to the airport with at least two hours to go through security which you should allow pending crowds and walking distances in the older Terminal 1.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls