Mexicana to start flying again?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

gregd75
    Participant

Rumour has it that Mexicana will start up again on December 1st -initially flying domestic routes and then moving back into the US in January and Europe / South America in February 2011, using 20 airbus aircraft.

As they didn’t officially leave One World (their logo remains on the one world webpage) does this mean that the new Mexicana will still be in the club?

Does anyone have any update? I’d love to see Latin Americas oldest and best airline flying again!

Potakas
    Participant

Good news for us flying with oneworld,

I found this article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40118438/ns/travel-news

The company says in a statement that the company Capital PC received tentative governmental approval for a business plan that would allow at least 30 Airbus A320 aircraft to resume flights in December. Final approval must still be granted.

Also i heard from some Mexican friends a month ago that this is just a financial trick and they will start operations soon.

Regards

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hot blooded males will also be excited at this latest development:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/848554-mexicana-stewardesses-launch-sexy-bikini-calendar-to-raise-money

transtraxman
    Participant

Oneworld flyers will be interested to know that it looks like Mexicana is about to start flying again. The following information only appears in the Spanish version – not the English one.

http://mexicanainforma.com/boletines-de-prensa/

The press releases are numbers 14 & 15 of 24th January last.
    in effect they say that ….

-the capital reconstruction has been completed

-agreement has been reached with the unions

-the present employees number 39 pilots, 80 crew and 846 maintenance technicians, all of which have been recertified and are ready to start in the “next few days”.

-Initially the fleet is comprised of 7 aircraft which will reach 40 aircraft by the second half of the year – all of the A320 family.

-Initially the international cities to be served are Los Ángeles, Chicago, San Antonio, Miami and La Habana; while the domestic cities will be Guadalajara, Monterrey, Cancún, Oaxaca, Tuxtla Gutiérrez and Veracruz.. Incorporating more planes into the fleet eventually the company will serve 40 domestic and international destinations.
    (Mexico DF is not mentioned though I assume that these aforementioned cities will be served, principally, from DF)

-the prooving flights were to be held from 27 to 30 January before the authorities.

-the recertification of the crews and aircraft is necessary due to the fact that more than three months has passed since operations were suspended.

-operations are expected to be on offer in a question of days and to start soon after.

Delsurrey
    Participant

I think I might be a bit worried about flying with this Company – 39 pilots 80 crew and 846 maintenance technicians – what state are the aircraft in that they need such a high maintenance workforce?

transtraxman
    Participant

I cannot answer that question as I have only given you the gist of the press releases.

However, three things should be pointed out….

1-The release claims the the airline will be up and running “within days”.

2-The airline will start with 7 aircraft which will rise to 40 by the end of the year. Thus the recertification is an ongoing necessity and so will be done in that period.

3-It should be pointed out that the US authorities (some months ago) prohibited the increase in services by Mexican airlines to the USA due to concerns over aircraft maintenance. That restriction has now been lifted so the US authorities are now satisfied with the general level of maintenance by Mexican airlines. For that reason they will look at Mexicana very closely before permitting it to resume operations to the USA – as is the plan.

But then again you are free to fly with whom you choose.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls