Medical Travel Insurance

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1337005]Hi @ Johnnyg. Don’t be overwhelmed by the thought of what you need to disclose. Insurers and underwriters are only interested in issues that will increase your financial and clinical risk to them.[/quote]

Always ANSWER THE QUESTION(S) ASKED in full and not what you think they need to hear.

It’s not just about underwriting the risk at the application stage, its also about checking the medical history if G-d forbid a major claim is needed. I’ve seen 2 ex-pats have claims declined in the last year for not disclosing minor incidents at the application stage.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Alsacienne
    Participant

I should be most grateful if any members could point me in the right direction for where I could buy an annual health-insurance policy for travelling. Domiciled in France, I have already spent a lot of time trawling insurance company websites unsuccessfully and am really quite envious of UK nationals able to use Staysure or InsureandGo! Recommendations welcomed!

Oh and while we’re on this topic, any recommendations for an annual car insurance policy to cover out-of-country car hire? I haven’t managed to find anything here yet!

Very many thanks in advance.

Luxe Travel Agency
    Participant

There are a variety of medical insurance options available for those who are over 70. It is recommended that you review the coverage options provided by your current health insurance provider first. If they do not provide the coverage you need, you may want to consider looking into supplemental insurance policies offered by other companies. You can also discuss your needs with an insurance broker who can help you find the right coverage for you.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1340672]You can also discuss your needs with an insurance broker who can help you find the right coverage for you.[/quote]

are you UK based and FCA regulated?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

TonyR
    Participant

You can also access your NHS medical records through the NHS app.

TonyR
    Participant

Has anyone heard of or used International Medical Group for insurance? I am currently outside the UK and about to do a trip to the USA. My Amex 90 days insurance will run out during the trip so I need further medical insurance. The insurers in the country I am in will provide cover but only offer $25,000 of medical cover which is useless. The UK insurers all require you to buy your insurance before you leave the UK so also a non-starter. Google found me IMG who seem legit, very responsive and would cover me. But as always with internet searches there is a question about appearance over substance or even fake site scams.

TonyR
    Participant

[postquote quote=1336906]

I just looked at the Platinum Amex International Card and the website says “ Please note, you can no longer apply for this Card directly from American Express.”. Not sure whether that means you can apply indirectly or it’s no longer available to new applicants.

Quick question though is do you pay the annual fee for it on top of your standard Amex Platinum? As it is base on $ or € it would work out quite expensive on exchange rates if the majority of your purchases were in the UK in £

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1341110]I am currently outside the UK and about to do a trip to the USA. My Amex 90 days insurance will run out during the trip so I need further medical insurance.[/quote]

I would urgently call Amex and ask if they have a solution re the 90 day issue, even for additional cost. It may be a hassle to get through but insisting on speaking to an underwriter, may help.

A few years ago I tried to buy local insurance in the USA (Florida) but for the cover needed I had to be a US resident.

RobertBLondon
    Participant

Absolutely sensible not to buy on price, it’s something many many people do with insurance forgetting that breadth of cover & quality of customer service are arguably much more important.

And yes non-disclosure of relevant past history is not advisable. Over-declaring is better because if its too long ago then they won’t count it against you.

My mother recently had a good experience with a claim with Staysure.

As it happens we are now looking for Cruise insurance for an Antarctic expedition cruise & they don’t seem to provide enough total cancellation cover, this trip being as you may imagine on the upper end of the range, so if anyone has experience please reply, thanks.

TonyR
    Participant

[postquote quote=1341146]

I did that before we set off on our Digital Nomad travels and there is no exception to the 90 days. Fortunately we’ve been back to the UK often enough until now for it not to matter. Policies seem to be either multi-trip year with 90 day limit or single trip 365 day limit.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1341204]Over-declaring is better because if its too long ago then they won’t count it against you.[/quote]

@RobertBLondon
    – an underwriter once told me in no uncertain terms, “just answer the questions asked”. If you are asked about operations in the last 5 years and mention an operation you had 10 years ago, it could stand against you.

I feel very privileged to be part of a profile study group for prostate cancer at the Royal Marsden in London. Part of the study includes an annual blood test. Prior to joining the study group I spoke to insurers and my GP about whether I needed to declare the blood test or any other tests they do on any insurance application form (life or travel). The answer I was given was no as it was a blood test/tests for a recognised research study being undertaken when free of the disease.

The point is, I would not over disclose anything, just answer what you are asked. If they wanted to know about operations 10 years ago, they would have asked that question.

These are obviously my personal decisions – each of us must do what they feel is right.

3 users thanked author for this post.

GeorgeJ
    Participant

TonyR. The closure of applications for the currency cards is very recent, you would need to ask Amex why this is the case though most likely because they intend to re-vamp them in some form. Incidentally these cards were heavily distributed by HSBC but this arrangement came to an end about a year ago.
    I dont have a GBP platinum, I only have the dollar card and though I can have significant dollar purchases it is the benefits package that I buy it for. Over the yeas I believe that I have been treated fairly by the insurance providers and that is why I stick with it. For sterling purchases I have the BA Premium Amex which provides Avios as a benefit. I agree that there would be no point in doubling up with two platinums.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls