MAS losing over US$2 million a day

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Tim. Very informative and interesting.

MarcusGB
    Participant

BBC TV In Malaysia thia am expect losses to b around MYR 6-800 Million.
    This is not so bad when you consider converting this to divide around 5.2 per £.
    Not insurmountable in The Industry. Far better than sadly QF markets, undoubtedly Malaysia retain good services and popular between the UK and Sydney over 25 yrs.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Report in this evening’s Daily Telegraph says that on Friday (tomorrow) MAS will announce a restructuring programme involving job and route cuts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/11062454/Malaysia-Airlines-to-axe-up-to-4000-staff-and-CEO.html

MarcusGB
    Participant

Currently in The Gulf…
    BBC Business news, MH have announced whole Re-structuring of the Airline:

– MH intend to cut 30% of jobs out of their 20,000 worldwide.
    – Bookings are down 1/3rd overall, sometimes flying with rows of seats vacant.
    – They intend to focus on their domestic and Regional networks.
    – Cuts of destinations, Some International routes will be abandoned, with routes to China and Europe slashed.
    – Several hundred flight crews have resigned since the recent events.
    – New Management will be appointed and take over next year.

I flew Etihad out of KUL last eve, and the Domestic flight i took was full.
    Certainly a lot of Australians were on Board the Domestic flights, plenty tourists, along with locals and a good mix of International travellers, Within the domestic network travelling out fro KLIA also for many flights appearing busy.

Using the MAS Golden Lounge, it was not so busy, but i left 19.30hrs from there before all the late night flights to Australia and Europe leave.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This is perhaps not the place to post this, but it seems quite a few posters live in or travel to KL quite often, so you may have had dealings with the British High Commission and the Commissioner Simon Featherstone. He did a lot to promote British business in the country as he did during his time in Switzerland and China – responsible for the British pavilion in Shanghai.

I’m saddened to say he passed away a few days ago from an illness and I’m sure those who did know him will know what a wonderful person he was and will be shocked by this news. RIP Simon.

stevescoots
    Participant

I would fly them anytime, however i have yet to see anything competative in business class on flights out to HK where I would use them

flyingcanadian
    Participant

AMc,
    Thanks for starting this thread. I have had many discussions with fellow pax and friends in Asia, who say that the Malaysian Government will not allow MH to go bankrupt!! Look at what happened to Garuda! These airlines are National airlines, and one way of promoting their countries.
    Thai just saved itself from Bankruptcy in August as it was nearly out of money. Some 200 pilots have quit and they have cut back on flights to Europe/Scandanavia. PAN AM was a private entity, so no-one was there to bail them out, but he Malaysian Government will not permit MH to stop flying. It is a matter of NATIONAL PRIDE.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

flyingcanadian – Thank you for your comments.

It will be interesting to see what happens at MAS. It certainly can’t continue operating the way it has. Management must be regretting having acquired A380s, especially as MAS has no smaller planes which offer the best passenger standards.

MrMichael
    Participant

Interesting point Alex, could MAS sell their 380,s? I do not know if any used 380,s have changed hands, but given many carriers are (or were) waiting a long time for their deliverys then perhaps a healthy second hand market could exist for the 380.

JKL
    Participant

It would be a great shame if MAS got rid of their A380s. Theirs has one of the best economy seats/cabins around, in my opinion. Certainly one of the main reasons I keep flying with them. I think if the A380 wasn’t on the London route, there would be far less to differentiate MAS from the competition. Could be a very counter-productive move, I suspect. But I doubt they’ll get rid of them – they have (rightly, I think) made it their flagship aircraft. I do wonder though whether they might sell off their Enrich frequent flyer programme? No idea what it would be worth.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

MrMichael-

Am not sure how MAS financed its A380s. An ideal solution would be for BA to jointly market the route with MAS.

MAS is not the only SE Asian carrier who may be regretting its purchase of A380s.

It’s also an issue at Thai Airways whom, when it ordered six A380s 10 years ago, envisaged deploying them on the busy and profitable kangaroo route between Europe and Australia via Bangkok.

Since then the kangaroo route marketplace has changed with the growth of the Gulf carriers plus additional capacity being provided by
    Chinese carriers, Philippine Airlines and Garuda … let alone various budget airlines now plying between SE Asia and Australia.

In an interview with industry magazine, Aviation Week, in 2012, Thai’s VP of Strategy and Business Development Chokchai Panyayong, said that his company had been forced to find a new role for its A380s.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I think if there is one route MH will keep going it will be LHR -KUL. Without this, there would be many lost passengers from Europe or from Australia, going through and also stopping over.
    More likely smaller routes to China, and Middle East and EU cities will be cut.
    I think the Australian are usually very busy, and the London link, carrier=s too much prestige, and through passenger.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls