Marco Polo Shines!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

Binman62
    Participant

Like all frequent flyer programmes Marco Polo holds details of my date of birth. In recent days I have celebrated no longer being 50 (is celebrated the right word) but it was only Marco Polo who sent an email wishing me happy birthday. More than that however, they also sent a rather clever electronic card signed by the head of Marco Polo

Kitsch…….perhaps, but for me simply further evidence of just how far ahead of the pack Cathay Pacific is.

The cards tag line was

You light up our sky.

They certainly brightened my day. Thanks Cathay.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Awww Binman, sounds like you didnt get many cards this year 🙁 anyway a belated Happy Birthday!!! hope you had a lovely day with your family and friends :o) xx

Most people get enough junk mail in to their inboxes all the time hence why most companies dont do this.

Happy belated Birthday Binman!

Have you just turned 51 or 60? (:-)

Binman62
    Participant

Alexpo…thanks…. 51 …..60 is just to much to think about!

Most companies, Beccky Boop, do not do this because they do not care sufficiently about there customers!

What Cathay got right was that they did not try to sell me anything, promote a specific product or bore me to death with how great they are, or how fabulous their prices or prioducts were.

No, they simply sent a message that said “Happy Birthday” and a link to the electronic card which stated you light up our sky.

It was all about me, not them, and in marketing in that way they managed not only to gain my continued admiration, but reinforced in me the notion that this is not simply another airline, but “The Airline” of the age.

BigDog.
    Participant

Also wishing you a belated birthday greeting Binman

The aging process has you firmly in its grasp if you never get the urge to throw a snowball. ~Doug Larson

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter. ~Leroy “Satchel” Paige

Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. ~Samuel Ullman

You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. ~Douglas MacArthur

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ~Chili Davis

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Binman,

“Most companies Beccky Boop, do not do this because they do not care sufficiently about there customers!”

What?? are you for real??? :S

Certainly a nice thought but some people can see sending an e-card as being seriously tacky and some hackers will fake them to send out computer viruses.

I dont think sending out an e-card is tacky as its the thought that counts and especially when you take into consideration the cost to post letters these days.

Binman62
    Participant

BigDog…..Growing old is mandatory growing up is optional….my mantra entirely..love it.

VintageKrug
    Participant

How exciting, Binman – we share the same star sign!

I received a voucher for free hour of onboard net access from Lufthansa (SEN), an extra night towards my annual re-qualification from Marriott (Plat), a week of triple points earning at Harrods (Black) and an e-card from Virgin (Gold, comped via Amex).

It doesn’t always work as planned, though:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57381042-71/how-virgin-atlantics-birthday-e-mail-stabbed-me-in-the-heart/

I find the e-card the most pointless “gift”.

Happened to be in an Intercontinental (Plat, Royal Amb) one year and received a delicious chocolate cake on returning to my suite. Which was nice.

HongKongLady
    Participant

A very Happy Birthday Binman62.
    I agree Marco Polo did exactly the right thing a simple Happy Birthday without a sales pitch, which I am sure raised a smile.

Binman, that explains the 62!

VK, my star sign is Cancer. Are we compatible? Many happy returns!

Nice touch Marco Polo!

oldchinahand
    Participant

The card is a very nice touch and like Binman I was very happy to receive one on the appointed day and delighted to have a card from Cathay in the mail box also.
    The best part though was on checking in for my flight to Seoul an upgrade’ because its your birthday’ and before landing a small card signed by the cabin crew wishing me a happy birthday.
    Coming home 3 days later another upgrade.
    All very nice thoughtful touches and typically Cathay

Henryp1
    Participant

A nice gesture from the MP club, for which all posters would not necessarily appreciate receiving. But like all correspondence written or emailed we can choose to read or not.

Henry

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Binman62 – life at 51 years, 7 months and 2 days has never been better. I love being 50 and ALL the benefits that come with this special age.

The only missing part is I wish my parents were still here to share this special time

Have a superb weekend, Marco Polo may have shined but the BT Forum shines far brighter………….today!!

Papillion53
    Participant

Happy Belated Birthday Binman62 :-)))

60 isn’t that scary, especially if you have a wonderful DW who takes you on an equally wonderful trip to celebrate! LOL!

Mind you he is a bit “age” sensitive these days but the perks are there! He recently, to his horror (whilst I laughed!) was entitled to concession entry at a Scottish Castle!

Me, well, I no doubt will be laughing or not when my turn comes! A while yet I hasten to add!!!

MS – I know exactly how you feel – I hate being this now “older” generation – I rather liked having a safety net in the generation above me if you know what I mean!

Have a great week everyone and will regale you soon with news of that “Golf Hotel”! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls