Malaysia – most unreliable Asian airline?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

I have flown MH on 7 legs over the past few weeks, 5 long-haul and 2 regional.
    All but one have been delayed by between 40 minutes and 5 hours, the delay generally caused by late departures from KLIA. They have just announced another delay ‘for operational reasons’ on my flight from KLIA to Doha.

Am I just unlucky?

TominScotland
    Participant

But very much on the plus side and on something where there has been much Forum discussion in the past, my current journey is SGN-KUL-DOH-EDI with the SGN-KUL booked on a separate ticket from the main routing. At check in in Ho Chi Minh City, in more hope than expectation, I asked about linking the two tickets and checking my luggage through to Edinburgh. The check-in agent found my second booking in a second, checked my bag to my final destination and issued my requisite 3 boarding passes in under a minute, thus saving me the hassle of immigration, luggage collection and check-in in KLIA. Impressed and delighted (and my Airtag tells me the bag has made it this far to Doha!!!).

4 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

I should have added that all my ticketing was with MH flight numbers (DOH-EDI as a codeshare with QR)

Andy McF
    Participant

I’ve taken Malaysia Airlines many, many times over 8 years living in KL – punctuality has never been especially to the fore and I’d expect 30 mins to 1.5 hours delays pretty consistently; more than that seems unusual though. I will say though on the two Doha – KL legs I’ve flown with them, yes, both were delayed (3 hours inbound, 1 hour outbound).

Re the luggage through-check – yes, they do seem very generous with this! I’ve had the same experience even flying with them KL – London, checking the bags right through on to a separate ticket to Prague with BA. Sadly such kindness wasn’t reciprocated by BA on the return…

sparkyflier
    Participant

Interesting thread and contributions.

I flew MH on 4 regional or domestic flights a few weeks ago, arranged though the excellent TimFitzgeraldTC who contributes to this forum. He is very efficient and his knowledge is vast.

A word I would use is inconsistent for MH. Menu cards on some flights, none on others, seating in business varying greatly, with 2 flights on a very modern 738 cabin, one less modern but actually quite fine and nice, and one very dated and felt “80s”. Duty free catalogues on flights, but none on board and the only alcohol is a beer, and that was not loaded on all flights. Inflight entertaining depended on the aircraft but even when fitted there was no moving map… I wonder why..

Re being late, well on a flight from KUL to Langkawi and it took 40 minutes, arriving on time. The return flight took ages, 80 minutes, arriving late and with no apology. Yet KUL is hardly short of runways or gates. I am told by friends in Malaysia that MH not apologizing for being late is not unusual.

Crew were formidable on 3 of the 4 flights – could not have done much more, except with them wearing masks it made it difficult to know what food was on offer on the KUL-BKK flight.

What they were excellent with was priority baggage. Mine was always on the belt within the first items.

With a bit more consistency, discipline and having booze on board they could be a highly desirable airline to fly.

1 user thanked author for this post.

findingfoodfluency
    Participant

They’ve got a rubbish hub, but haven’t really had issues with the airline itself.

Flying in/from/to China, on the other hand, expect delays. Beijing PEK and Shanghai (both SHA/PVG) are very delay-prone. I believe their air force has something to do with it, being able to prioritize drills in some of the world’s busiest FIRs (flight information regions).

In fact, two weeks ago, I was flying from Guangzhou CAN on a domestic leg. A major rainstorm was pummeling that region, so delays were prevalent throughout the FIDS. At some point, an airport official gave a general announcement carriers to board all passengers. So my flight was boarded, but just sitting there, waiting for Godot … err, the go-ahead to depart. Again, no announcements.

As I learned long ago, go to a supermarket beforehand, and buy a couple of snacks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls