Lufthansa to suspend two UK regional routes

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

*Breaking news*

Readers who have booked flights from Bristol or Liverpool with Lufthansa, either short or long-haul via Frankfurt, must check their booking status.

This morning Liverpool Echo reports that Lufthansa will suspend its Frankfurt service from February 2. This route was launched in 2022.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsliverpool/lufthansa-suspends-flights-from-liverpool-john-lennon-airport/ar-AA1lMAo6

Although, at time of writing, the news had not appeared in Bristol’s media I can confirm that Lufthansa will suspend its Frankfurt route effective February 3.

The Bristol route started in 2021.

We shall have to see but I find that when airlines say “suspend” it invariably means cancel.

It’s a particular blow for Liverpool as this airport was seeking to attract a global carrier rather than be rely mainly on LCCs (low-cost airlines).

But in truth Liverpool is too close to Manchester from where Lufthansa can offer a greater choice of flights.

It was a similar scenario with KLM which also failed to make a success of Liverpool.

Here’s the link to our report in December 2021 when the Liverpool route was announced.

Lufthansa to arrive at Liverpool

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I think this is the 3rd or 4th time Lufthansa has suspended the Bristol route.

Why it can’t sustain it I don’t know.

At one time, Bristol had links to all 5 neighbouring hubs of DUB, AMS, BRU< CDG & FRA.

The only durable ones have been DUB & AMS and I think that is because Aer Lingus & KLM value the connection whereas LH, AF and SN/Brussels see London followed by Manchester as the only places worthy of their attention.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Mark has posted more details along with Lufthansa’s comment.

Lufthansa to suspend flights to Bristol and Liverpool

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls