Lufthansa refunds due to entry restrictions

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• EasternPedlar
    Participant

Singapore just banned all travellers from France, Germany and Spain from entering the country. I have tickets from London to Singapore via Munich on LH for later this month. Singapore Immigration have confirmed by e-mail that even transiting a German airport would attract the ban, so that means that I can’t fly LH.

LH are being difficult about cancelling bookings in such circumstances. Their website talks about allowing one free rebooking, with travel having to take place within 2020. The problem is that there is no way of knowing when Singapore will lift its restrictions, and I am not sure if I will even want to go then. I need to go now, and am exploring alternative routings, and a further visit to Singapore might well be unnecessary.

Has anyone got a resolution from LH in similar circumstances? The US and India have imposed similar bans, and many travellers would have been affected.

I recollect from my study of the Contract Act decades ago that there is a concept of frustration of a contract

“A contract may be discharged by frustration. A contract may be frustrated where there exists a change in circumstances, after the contract was made, which is not the fault of either of the parties, which renders the contract either impossible to perform or deprives the contract of its commercial purpose.”

Surely, that must be the case here, and airlines should be aware of the law. I’d welcome feedback from the legal brains on this forum, and of course from the knowledgeable folks at BT.

Legal recourse is, of course, the least desired of alternatives. Any suggestions on how one could contact LH to get a cancellation approved cordially? They are of course inundated right now, and I have had no luck in getting through to their call centre despite multiple attempts.

(Typed on my phone, apologies for any typos.)

SimonS1
    Participant

Rather than over thinking it I would park it for a couple of days and check again.

Airline policies are struggling to keep up with changes, and to be honest if no travellers from Germany are allowed in (both people embarking or in transit) then I would be surprised if the flight actually operates. After all why would you fly a load of passengers somewhere where they can’t disembark?

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

We have just flown from JNB with LH with a chnage to MXP. LH told us we could make one chnage free of charge, but the original fare had to be still available (which of course it wasn’t!!) and there was a time restriction though I can’t recall what it was. However, they also offered the choice of a full refund. The ticket was bought in South Africa and is a return, so I would imagine they would also allow you to get a refund.

In our case they re-routed us to Zurich which we were quite happy about truth be told. Maybe in your case you could reroute to Kuala Lumpur otherwise I’d suggest contacting your insurers.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

This being an “extraordinary circumstance” LH should offer you an alternative means to get to SIN which in this case would probably be a flight with their JV partner SQ or fully refund you the ticket price according to EU law.
    Don’t bother with the website or app, just call the hotline or send them a direct message via Twitter. They seem to respond to twitter messages rather fast.

1 user thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=993482][/postquote]

Its becoming more and more difficult for anyone getting into Singapore now and may be via passport and not mode of transport …

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/coronavirus-covid-19-singapore-malaysia-asean-stay-home-notice-12539952

cameronc
    Participant

I was in the same situation, going SIN-FRA-GLA originally on 23 March. After an hour and a half on the phone on Saturday, I was offered SIN-ZRH/AMS-FRA-GLA but only a day earlier, the best LH could do. I instead asked for a refund and booked SIN-DXB-GLA on EK for Sunday there because the situation was only going to worsen by the new date! The guy at the call centre was perfectly happy to do this and put through my refund request. Just got to wait and see exactly what I receive, and claim the difference on my insurance.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

Not happy with the way LH are going about things, but I’ve decided not to post any more moans. They are inconsequential in the face of the challenges facing the global community today. I’m grateful that I am safe and healthy and solvent. My best wishes to all of you, may you survive these challenges similarly.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls