Lufthansa (and BA) mismanagement of itineraries after involuntary re-booking

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• MontanaKen
    Participant

Short version: On Lufthansa generated itinerary from YVR to SOF, first flight segment had medical emergency and was diverted to YYC. Flight cancelled, all passengers rebooked. This involved Air Canada and Lufthansa. I got to Sofia a bit behind my originally scheduled time. Time to return from Sofia, I looked at the itinerary to casually see if any minor flight times had been made. SURPRISE! The entire return itinerary had been cancelled by LH. Reason: I was a no-show for flight segment three of the outbound itinerary. That segment was scuttled during the LH rebooking process which modified my routing.
    How could LH’s IT systems allow something like this. Then I recalled BA doing the same thing two years ago on a complex routing from FRA to SYD. Extremely bad weather caused BA to rebook flights and then they cancelled nearly the entire itinerary when I did not show up for a segment cancelled due to rebooking. How stupid are these reasonably well reputed airlines. Is this a common problem? I can’t be the only one. I am waiting for an explanation from Lufthansa. I am also demanding reimbursement of the Sofia to US phone calls to straighten out the matter, which took in excess of 6 hours.

capetonianm
    Participant

Of course it’s the computer’s fault.
    Simple.
    Next?

Edski777
    Participant

Capetonian +1

Incredibly useful machines those computers! If in need for a poor excuse for a situation a company created itself.
    Would EU261 be applicable in this case?

capetonianm
    Participant

I would doubt if EU261 would be applicable as passenger illness is clearly beyond the control or foresight of the airline and is an extraordinary circumstance. That the airline chose to divert the aircraft and thus create a delay opens up a somewhat more complex argument.

Personally, under the above circumstances, I would not consider making an EU261 claim, firstly because of the small likelihood of winning, and secondly because it seems somewhat mercenary. I would however expect those of my expenses that could be attributed to the carrier’s poor handling to be met.

Edski777
    Participant

I was actually referring to Montanaken’s return flight. As he booked with a carrier based in the EU, a flight originating in the EU and a passenger flying from an EU country.
    Based on his story I believe having just your expenses reimbursed seems a meager to me.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This has happened to me, also with LH and BA in the past. As I’m in the habit (a hangover from the old days) of always reconfirming my flights a few days in advance, the flight cancellation was in each case quickly spotted and the re-booking made. So apart from a single phone call there was no inconvenience. My advice for the future, and especially if there has been a re-routing or delay, is call the airline and check your booking is still there.

I don’t think EU261 would apply at all. He was not delayed on the return due to an aircraft fault, but because the segment was cancelled. Might be worth a try but I doubt LH will pay out a pfennig!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=868666]I was actually referring to Montanaken’s return flight. As he booked with a carrier based in the EU, a flight originating in the EU and a passenger flying from an EU country.

Based on his story I believe having just your expenses reimbursed seems a meager to me.[/quote]

The only EC261 angle I can see is if he was denied boarding, which would be a €600 slam dunk – no extraordinary circumstances apply and the airline cannot just cancel someone’s ticket under those circumstances.

Otherwise, I fear that the six hours will be down to experience and the airline may make a gesture to cover the phone calls, but in all likelihood will not.

You are then faced with a small claims action in Germany for what may be classed as a petty amount and fial.

Don’t you just love airlines?

It is the cumulative experience of being treated like this over 40 years and having to suck up a quite a bit that leads me to claim every cent under EC261 in the hope that the blow to the tail of the dinosaur will eventually reach the (tiny) brain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls