London’s BT Tower to become luxury hotel

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

This is a surprise.

BT Tower sold as MCR hotels for £275 million.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68352275

2 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Quirky….

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Likely to be quite a few years before any hotel opens, as MCR said that “BT Group will take a number of years to vacate the premises, due to the scale and complexity of the work to move technical equipment, and there will be significant time for design development and engagement with local communities before proposals are revealed”.

Plans unveiled to turn London’s BT Tower into a hotel

cwoodward
    Participant

I lived in Welbeck Street for a number of years and the BT tower loomed in my eyeline every morning as I was getting in the car for work. It was possible to park in the street outside the flat in those days as long as you moved by 7.30 on weekdays -9am on weekends…..civilised times.

esselle
    Participant

In 1966 a revolving restaurant opened, The Top of The Tower, and it was operated by none other than Butlins, of holiday camp fame.

I wonder if it will be reborn when the new luxury hotel opens?

nevereconomy
    Participant

My hall of residence was On Maple Street so it was a big part of my life for several years. I still have a chunk of concrete with a tile from the toilets attached
    as a result of the attack – great excitement that day. I do wonder if the economics of this will work.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It also brings back old memories.

In the early 1970s my office building was on Oxford Circus and from one of the high floors the back of the building I could clearly see the Post Office Tower (as it was called in those days). It had opened a few years earlier in 1965.

At that time it dominated the London skyline.

Unfortunately because of the bomb/explosion in 1971 the Tower was closed to the general public ever since.

Nowadays the Tower is more difficult to spot from afar as London has so many tall buildings.

It was Grade 2 listed in 2003.

The link I provided to the BBC copy (see the first posting) covers the Tower’s history.

JJames3
    Participant

I remember spending an evening in the revolving ‘restaurant’ in the mid 2000’s on a BT corporate evening, it became a bit dicey after one too many sherbets!

WilliamRead
    Participant

I wonder what will happen to all the other BT towers, eg Pye Green in Staffordshire, that are mainly bare concrete constructions? Will they soon be redundant?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls