London Underground

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A couple of observations about London Underground (non strike related) hence the new thread!

I received an email this morning that due to “operational reasons” I have a refund due which will be credited next time I swipe my Oyster Card at my home station.

What a wonderful system, can you imagine a similar system by the airlines. An email being sent, without a complaint being initiated, “due to operational reasons, please accept an award of xxxxxx miles”. Was slightly chuffed to receive the email.

I have been watching The Tube on tv on Monday evenings at 9pm. Last episode included footage of the revenue control team and how they operated.

I have no issue in CCTV cameras or the BIG BROTHER concept, until I saw how invasive this can be. The way a fare dodger was tracked down to the barrier he was using, all though the Oyster card being swiped.

I know the article said the records were kept for only 8 days and I have also in the past said, if you stay clean and don’t cheat, you have no worries, but I have to admit I was slightly concerned in the manner that London Underground, through Oyster card and CCTV are able to track people.

I still have a hankering to drive one of those new Underground trains. Any one able to offer me an opportunity of a career change at 50 and a half (fully fit and retain a class 1 CAA medical) I would be more than happy to donate a large chunk of airmiles.

“All aboard and mind the doors please” (and that was a very serious comment about the career change to LT).

NTarrant
    Participant

Martyn, if you go to the http://www.tfl.gov.uk website you should be able to find information there.

You should not be alarmed about the CCTV and the way Oyster is used. Remember if you were attacked they can at least try and trace the attacker using the CCTV and if Oyster is used.

Sadly as the program on tv shows there are people who think that the tube and indeed other forms of transport, bus and rail are fair game to dodge, which means higher fares for those that do pay correctly.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Nigel, I agree with your comments – the leakage due to fare doging is unacceptable and the attitude of those that dodge is distgusting. Its a pity there is not more that can be done.

Any idea why Finchley central is the only open underground station (no barrier??).

I seriously tried to apply for London Transport, my friends thought I was crazy, but the change of lifestyle would have suited me 100%.

LT “appears” to be the last “closed shop” in the UK. The strength of the Union and the benefits the drivers get, make it one of the most sought after jobs.

It really would be the ideal job for me and given an opportunity, I would swop the life I currently lead, to driving a tube train.

If anyone is in a position to advise, please email me 🙂

VintageKrug
    Participant

The train may be leaving the station on this particular “closed shop”, as there’s a strong movement to introduce driverless trains on the Underground. Understandable when they’re paid £52,000 per year plus benefits (possibly overtime on top of that!).

This move to driverless trains will only be hastened by any silliness on their part during the Olympics.

andystock
    Participant

Finsbury park tube as no ticket gates as well. The gate is often left open at moorgate in the evenings. Plus you can transfer from national rail at highbury and islington, old street, moorgate without passing a ticket gate. Remember most national rail stations such as the WGC line and hertford loop dont have ticket gates

andystock
    Participant

I am very impressed with the new met line trains, so much moor room and the ride quality is very smoth along with the air con which helps during the morning crush between kings cross and moorgaye

PatJordan
    Participant

The Underground’s little cousin, the DLR, is driverless and an excellent service.

Last year, I brought my grandson on his first trip to London. As much as he enjoyed the tube, he was enthralled sitting in the front of the DLR with no driver.

On another note, does anybody else remember the guard travelling at the rear of Northern line trains closing the doors?

Surely I’m not that old??

Pat

NTarrant
    Participant

No your not Pat!

You can still see guards closing doors on Tube trains on the Isle of Wight.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

yep, the guard was positioned in the smokers carriage.

“Please, mind those doors”

My son has threatened that if he ever heard me say those words on a tube, he would get off!!

RichHI1
    Participant

I remember visiting my cousin in London in the 1960’s and finding the Underground fascinating. There were guards operating doors, a smell of leahter and wood and tobacco. Coming from the the middle of nowhere (Cheshire) it was magical. The slow big trains (District) and the fast small ones (Piccaddilly) which in those days ran to Hounslow West.

Being an awkward so and so from day one I was always asking my Aunt why they built the Underground with “the Gap” as they were always telling people to mind it.

On question of fare dodging, Ithink the New York subway has a good system. Flat fare at affordable price and very difficult to get into or out of the system without your metro card. Also free transfers within a 2 hour period is a good deal.

NTarrant
    Participant

It does not matter what the price is, there are people who will try to fare dodge. New York subway is just as easy to fare dodge as a number of systems

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Standing on Euston underground station this morning I was surprised to hear a cellphone ringing.

I then realised it was my cell phone – but could work out how to take the call.

Eventually worked it out, a colleague in BKK was calling me via a new Whatsapp talk facility. I then tried to call another friend in London, via whatsapp and it worked too.

Not sure how long it will work for – but at the moment you can make / receive free calls in the Underground stations where wifi has been enabled…

SimonS1
    Participant

Funny that Martyn. Someone said to me last night to get whatsapp talk organised. Works better than Skype I’m told?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

it works better than a telephone line… but probably only whilst people don’t know about it… crystal clear….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls