London Heathrow to the docklands

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

BRUSHES
    Participant

is it relative easy to drive between the 2 airports without having to go thru london and paying for the congestion zone charges?

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

If I were you and driving, I would take the M25 as opposed to cutting through London and using the North or South circular routes.

BRUSHES
    Participant

thanks. I think I will rent a car and brave the traffic
    best alanmany

Bullfrog
    Participant

Depending how experienced you are with driving in London / the time of your transfer to LCY / and the amount of your luggage / the duration of your flight arriving LHR,

I would probably take the Heathrow Express to Paddington which takes 15 minutes.

Then any of the following :

1. London Underground to Bank & then the DLR to LCY.
    2. London Underground to a station further East .. such as Liverpool Street and then a black taxi.
    3. A black taxi but traffic may be awful.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I guess Brushes you will be arriving/departing on a weekday. If it’s after 6
    pm or at the weekend you will not pay. Check out this link for more info.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/congestioncharge/whereandwhen/#section-2

I would avoid the m25 like the plague. You will also have the problem of then getting from the m25 to LCY which is not so easy if you don’t know your way. Of course it depends on the time of day but I would skirt the charging zone going southbound over the river at Hammersmith, through Battersea, onto Deptford, through the Blackwall tunnel and then to LCY.

To be honest, unless you know London well, you should rent a GPS, but it will constantly try to take you through central London so you will have to programme it stage by stage.

To be brutal, I’d pay the £8 and have done with it. In terms of hassle, gps costs, extra ,mileage etc it will be cheaper in the end.

BRUSHES
    Participant

dear jeremy
    many thanks

i think i will drive lhr/lcy
    and, on saturday, take a black cab to liverpool. thanks for the advise.
    best
    alan

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Brushes, not sure where you’re from, but if Liverpool (as opposed to Liverpool street in London) is your final destination you will find a black cab very expensive. Train would then be the better option.

BRUSHES
    Participant

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. I MAY JUST RENT A CAR AND DRIVE, ON SATURDAY, LCY TO LHR. BEST, ALAN

NTarrant
    Participant

That will be expensive to do a one way hire just for a couple of hours. Frankly if you have a small amount of luggage the suggestions by Jeremy B are your best bet.

If you have a large amount of luggage then a hired taxi will be cheaper than a black cab

Bucksnet
    Participant

Brushes, there is no congestion charge on Saturday.

BRUSHES
    Participant

thanks for that info.
    i will be spending 2 days in hay on wye should be relaxing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls