London airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• TedToToe
    Participant

openfly, as regards extending the Piccadilly Line to Alderney, never say never. Boris has a soft spot for airports surrounded by water!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This is really quite a silly discussion..

London Glasgow… is only an hour away……. but then you have to come back to London London to get your connection…

Call airports by their real city names and mention the distance from London in miles and time….

canucklad
    Participant

Ryanair silly Martyn. : )

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have to agree with you Martyn. Where next, London Cardiff or London Brussels? It’s misleading and confusing especially for foreign visitors. Imagine a flight to London Birmingham – hop in a cab – Claridges please – yes sir – then 2 hours later and £500 poorer you arrive!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LP, the cab would get very wet, if you were going to Claridges from London Amsterdam, which is only 45 minutes away on a good day…

In fact Boris would have a field day… call Europe “London Europe” and have Boris bikes all over Europe. Next we could have a pedestrian walkway for bikes as well to allow us to pedal from London Europe to London London!!!

Monty Python are still in town aren’t they!!??

cityprofessional
    Participant

@Martyn and Lugano, you’re right it is a bit silly, but surely it’s about convenience for someone who lives or needs to get to London. LTN, STN and bits of LHR (the Green Mile, T5C, T4 distant gates, etc) and LGW (the North Terminal over the bridge) aren’t any more convenient than Southend or Southampton with their dedicated train stations and small terminals

As for AMS, LIN and BRU, I betcha there are a few Londoners on here who’ve done an ex-EU or two. There’s definitely an advantage to starting your journey from those places rather than any of the high tax/ high cost airports on the British Isles…

Bullfrog
    Participant

Apologies to those who think sharing helpful travel advice is ‘silly’.

Living in North London, I often need to get to SW France, the Dordogne to be specific.

CityJet between London City and Brive is infrequent, and unreliable. The ageing aircraft seem to lead to delay and cancellation.

Ryanair have quite a large market share into Bergerac, especially out of Stansted.

I find FlyBe out of Southampton & Bergerac useful. The 70 to 80 minute train ride and fast check in, with short walking distances to the gate provide for a convenient option.

‘Thinking outside’ the box when choosing an airport may help other travellers.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@CityP

I use AMS to start ex-Europe tickets and I sincerely hope it is not rebranded London Amsterdam… think of the additional levies being added to all London airports!!!

Holte75
    Participant

Not sure if it has ‘official’ status, but Lydd also styles itself ‘Lydd London Ashford Airport’ – as you can see on its website

http://www.lydd-airport.co.uk/

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Been that way for quite a while – not sure the plans have come to fruition judging from this 2006 story from our sister site Buying Business Travel

http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/159213-lydd-airport-becomes-london-ashford-airport

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls