Lightweight Gym Shoes

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Sunshine
    Participant

Can anyone recommend any lightweight trainers/gym shoes?

Most trainers/sneakers are so bulky that they are too troublesome to take on short trips (taking up too much space for your average hand carry luggage). I did manage to find a pair of puma shoes; the upper part of the shoe was mesh that could lie flat against the sole of the shoe when packed. The problem was the sole was just a thin flat piece of foam (or similar substance), so while convenient for travel, it wasn’t very practical as a shoe.

Hoping there’s something similar in the market with a more substantial sole

Thanks

MarkCymru
    Participant

It’s Reebok Travel Trainers that you want. I still have a pair of the early ones. They look very odd but each rolls up to the size of a tennis ball. The later models are a bit bulkier but still roll up to a small size while providing decent support (and they look much more like normal trainers too). You wouldn’t go running in them but they’re fine for the gym and use on cardiovascular machines. I think you’ll have to buy them from the US or Japan as I’ve never seen them on sale here. You’ll find them easily with a Google search

Sunshine
    Participant

thanks for the tip on the Reebok shoes… they look ideal for what I am after, but don;t seem to be available anywhere (even on the reebok site). I assume these have been discontinued.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Sunshine
    Participant

Hoorah! I think I may have found the answer. Reebok have launched a shoe called the ‘Smoothfit 2 mobile trainer’ which provides comfort (apparently ‘like running on air’) and support whilst designed so that the shoe ‘packs flat’ in your luggage!

going to see if I can find them in town over the weekend – but if anyone has a pair, your feedback/opinions would be much appreciated

sidainton
    Participant

Hi, it depends what kind of gym activity you are looking to do. If you want to use the cardio equipment, sitting down, or you want to use weights, I would recommend a simple pair of converse all star trainers. They may seem vintage, but they are lightweight and can be flat packed.

They may look ridiculous, but you might also want to take a look at the Vibram Five Fingers shoes – http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/barefooting/barefoot_running.cfm

They fully support your feet, and mimic running barefoot. What’s more, they can be rolled up into a ball.

Hope that helps

Simon

MarkCymru
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion on the Vibram shoes.I bought a pair. They look very odd (and get strange reactions in the gym) but they are comfortable and roll up to almost nothing. I did find that I had to buy a size smaller than I usually take

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls