LHR totally useless lost property!

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• openfly
    Participant

I lost my iPhone in T5 a few days ago in T5 First lounge. I reported it lost on the LHR lost property section, a private website covering LHR, called Smart Carte. They have a display of all lost property. So I think I found my iPhone, as it was found on the same day, same place, same model.
    They are supposed to reply to the claim in 5 days…nothing. So they also have a phone number which charges 7p a minute. I’ve tried to phone 6 times for 10 minutes a call, or 70p…nothing, no reply.
    I can only assume it’s a scam…am I right?!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It appears whatever you have lost, it has been found.

The website seems to have some accreditation at the foot but nothing from Heathrow airport.

esselle
    Participant

Would it not have been better to try contacting BA themselves?

azidane
    Participant

I forgot my wallet in a restaurant at LHR a couple of years back and got referred to http://www.missingx.com who confirmed by email my wallet had been found and I opted to have it posted to my home and on my return my wallet was there with the £500 odd pounds that were in there along with everything else so very happy with there service, might be worth trying them

azidane
    Participant

Just looked at their website and they don’t seem to cover the UK anymore unfortunately

cwoodward
    Participant

In my view it would be better to contact the police – this has the fingerprints of some sort of scam and in any case nothing lost in doing so – other than the phone of course !

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Smart Carte is a genuine business, certainly a name I recognize, and with a quick search, you can see it’s been around since 1967. If the website you are using is genuine, I cannot comment. One would have thought they would charge more than 7p per minute for a phone line if they were up to anything nefarious, more likely just inefficient, and when one is paid to be inefficient, it often makes it worse.

1 user thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

When i left my favourite red moncler jacket with sentimental value on a BA flight from Glasgow to LHR, I gave up hope (partially my fault as the flight was delayed by about 4 hours and the lovely Glasgow lounge ladies gave me lots of drinks and then the CSM on board recognised me from a flight a few weeks ago and gave more champagne…. and they kindly put my jacket in the cupboard and we all forgot).

I gave up all hope and logged a claim on the website at about 2am and the next day i got notified that they had at about 9am. I went to some horrible underground office which i think was near T3 and after a small fee, i got it back. I was so happy!

I saw the CSM on a subsequent flight and he said they realised and took the jacket to see if they could find me but they could not locate me and so they had to hand in. They also said they called BA but they would not give the CSM my number but that they would tell the lost property people to contact me as a priority!

I also once left my laptop on a plane in the front pocket as i rarely ever take it out and the then CSD on BA in those days rushed out of the plane to give it to me.

There are some genuine people around and i accept it was all my fault for the jacket.

I hope you get your phone back!

5 users thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

No…everything that is lost/found at LHR whether on a/c, terminals, in the LHR boundary is handled by one company…SmartCarte.com.
    I got action by writing to the LHR ceo to discuss the expensive shambles of unanswered phone calls at 7p a minute. Suddenly it all changed! Magically my iPhone appeared and is being delivered today.

3 users thanked author for this post.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Generally, I do not leave things behind. The only time I really needed help was after leaving an outer jacket on a coat hook in the non-Schengen Finnair lounge at HEL. Someone else placed another coat over it and I failed to see it on the way out. The lost property people there were excellent at returning the jacket (for a fee),

Otherwise, after having returned from UBN to LGW via HKG and AMS in July23 only to receive one of two bags (the second arrived nearly two weeks later without any explanation for where it had been or why), I have now invested in a load of Apple AirTags and Chipolo disks so that all of my keys, bags, checked bags and computers have a pair of Bluetooth linked devices that are activated whenever I am out and about. Mind you, that presupposes that I neither leave behind my iPhone14 nor have this stolen…

1 user thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

@openfly – glad you got your i phone back. My experience was a number of years ago before i moved to HK and so maybe the system has changed now.

I actually think it is a good result if you are not having to pay for it to be shipped. I had to go to lost property and pay a fee – but i was more than happy to and relieved to get my jacket back as it was my fault. I do find UK premium lines annoying but 7p a minute is not too bad.

Perhaps also as it was an i phone, it is harder as the first lounge is packed and large and so i am sure there is lots of lost property.

After one mistake, i am sure you will not do it again as that was certainly the case for me!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls