Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Jerseygaz
    Participant

Not quite golden era, but in the 80’s and 90’s BA operated a freq service between LHR and JER, with up to 5/6 flts per day, with the last flt to JER always around 2000

As a frequent traveller on I travelled in Club class when introduced, as it provided access to the new Executive lounge, and as a regular, I knew what time you could get away with staying in the lounge before going to gate, which was invariably always the same number

However, one day l had become a bit blasé with this routine, and at my usual time wandered down to my usual gate, only to find it empty of anyone, staff, passengers, anyone

I hovered a while, not thinking to look at the boards as I knew I was in the right place!!

A few minutes passed, and a BA groundstaff member came by, asked if I was OK, and once explained the above, his face offered a concerned look, and proceeded to say that, as per the boards, the gate had been changed, and literally to get to it l would have to land myself, and go through a different security area, as the gate was at the opposite end of the terminal, which at that time were not linked, hence the problem above.

The BA member said there would be no way in time I could do this, and it was the last flight of the day. Then he said, how fit are you, and as I was in my 30’s I was OK, he said (and I know there is no way this would be possible now), follow me.

Before I knew it, we were running between stands, underneath aircraft and negotiating ground traffic, and within a few minutes arrived at my aircraft (exhausted). The main gate had already been closed off, so I embarked using the service steps, entering the aircraft to a bank of puzzled faces, and took my seat, which was fortunately in Club at the front. It was an experience, unlikely ever to be repeated

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

Awesome story,when common sense was used and not Paranoid ISIS mindset.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls