LHR 3rd Runway Free Enterprise Group

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

RichHI1
    Participant

Yes I think David Cameron has Canute syndrome.

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

I happen to live close to Heathrow. Heathrow is a great asset to most of us living in the area. Unless you are one of the relatively small yet very vocal community that will receive a fat cheque for their home if a third runway is built, most people I talk to in this area support the expansion of Heathrow. Unfortunatley, our local MP and local council seem to think this can’t possibly be the case, and go with the flow – the media hype.
    As an example, when there was the huge and very expensive pubic consultation and enquiry about the constuction of T5, most local people looked at those costs, and quite sensibly felt that BAA should instead just have given the £100+ million cost of the enquiry to the local councils to improve services and cut our council tax, and got on with construction quickly – that would have been a real win-win for all involved. Only the lawyers would have screamed at the loss of their new Ferraris. Perhaps any sane government should adopt this idea to get the necessary new runway capacity at LHR and/or LGW

RichHI1
    Participant

Well we will have another expensive review to try and justify pandering to nimby’s in West london and home counties. Probably end up with an additional runway in Bristol or Southend. Amazing how restating spin seems to fool so many.

transtraxman
    Participant

More comments from this person on Heathrow past, present and future for those interested.

http://trans-trax.blogspot.com.es/2012/04/heathrow-chapuzas.html

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Like Ardmarnoch and no doubt others, I live relatively close to LHR in Kingston upon Thames. There is no doubt that it is convenient and as a week by week user of LHR I derive benefits from that.

That does not however make LHR fit for purpose and having been lucky enough in the course of the last few days to see the new Berlin airport you realise how truly awful LHR is. It is constrained on site with no where really to go, yes there could be a new runway to the north but there is the small matter of the A4 to deal with and there remains the issue of noise and pollution.

I moved to Kingston more than thirty years ago and was well aware of the proximity of the airport but of course no one at that time could have foreseen the level of expansion in air travel which has taken place. We might be a bit better now at guessing what will happen in the next thirty years than we were then.

I would be someone who would be inconvenienced by a new airport as I would no doubt have further to travel to it but I also recognise that our capital city deserves better than it currently has. The Thames Estuary is one location, there must be more, possibly slightly further up the Thames Valley beyond Windsor which would be suitable for a totally new airport.

We should not be letting London settle for second best.

NTarrant
    Participant

A very interesting blog Transtraxman.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Northolt

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

And round we go again. Theresa Villiers, the transport sec, has apparently stated this week, that “BAA is free to lobby on third runway” . Villiers has promised to listen to their evidence. …. again?(FT)

Binman62
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls