LH, DB & BA, what a weekend!

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• JohnHarper
    Participant

FWIW both of the ICE trains we travelled on were composed of two train sets. I don’t know whether that’s normal or not or of any reason why a longer ICE cannot be composed of a single trainset.

Any ideas anyone?

If that’s the problem with the tunnel there must be a way around it.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

No idea why two train sets on the ICE but I’d be interested in the answer too if anyone knows.

Drumochter
    Participant

The latest ICE rolling stock are a type of high speed electrical multiple unit (EMU) manufactured as a complete 8 car train set. Traction is delivered through a number of powered bogies distributed across the entire train set – no longer is a separate locomotive used at one end of the train coupled to a variable number of coaches. There are two driving cabs located at each end of the set. The European Railway Agency specifies Technical Specifications for Interoperability for trans-European high speed railways and details a maximum train length of 400m. When necessary this is achieved by coupling two ICE sets together as has been described. As well as increasing capacity this also offers operational flexibility if the train is to be divided during the journey with the forward set continuing to one destination and the rear set another.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Originally the Channel Tunnel safety authorities specified that only single set trains with power cars at either end could use the Tunnel.

In addition, a complete train set (like those 18-coach units operated by Eurostar today) must be designed to be split inter two 9-coach half-sets should an emergency arise within the Tunnel.

The idea is that passengers would be evacuated from the set with the fault, through to the unaffected set. I believe this can be done on the level (ie without having to disembark). The functioning set would then be driven out of the Tunnel under its own power.

But these rules were laid down, probably, in the late 1980s and some of today’s high-speed trains have different technical specifications as noted by Drumochter.

The current Eurostar trains have power cars at either end. But the news ones, currently being built by Siemens, have powered-bogies although they remain single set trains.

The advantage of the latter is that you get better traction and the train will still operate even if one or two powered bogies fail (because the remainder of the powered bogies can still move the trainset).

In addition, train firms like them because they have lower operating costs. The space occupied by the power cars is no longer wasted.

For example, an existing Eurostar accommodates 750 passengers but the new Eurostar trains (with powered bogies) will accommodate 900. So that’s an extra 150 passengers for every train.

It appears the Channel Tunnel safety body has come round to accepting powered bogies (I say that because otherwise Eurostar would not have gone ahead and ordered a new fleet of trains) but the issue with DB’s twin-set ICEs is that, were an evacuation needed inside the Tunnel, it would be more difficult to transfer passengers from the faulty set to the functioning set.

As I see it, passengers would have to climb down from the train to ground level, walk along inside the Tunnel and then climb up into the other set.

The point is that not everyone of fit and able and many passengers, especially holidaymakers, will have luggage.

But on the other hand, and perhaps someone can correct me if I’m wrong, although there have been a few well publicised problems with Eurostar trains within the Tunnel, so far Eurostar has never had to split trains and evacuate passengers.

So that is why DB’s ICEs still await Tunnel approval.

I hope you can make sense of this ! I’ve tried my best to explain things as clearly as possible.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Thanks, that makes sense.

Presumably the reliability record of the ICE trains can or at least should be taken in to account in making decisions about transiting the tunnel. I have no idea what their record is like but there are now at least three generations of them so hopefully any early problems have been ironed out and dealt with.

It would be great to see DB running all the way to St Pancras.

CXDiamond
    Participant

First, excellent report JH, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and felt almost tired when I got to the end of it, I’m not surprised you slept most of the way to SIN!

I’ve found the ICE services of DB excellent when I’ve used them and even in second class the seats are roomy and comfortable, I would say they are as good, if not better than first class on Virgin’s west coast services.

I’ve never made a journey under so much time pressure but it’s good to know that it really does work like clockwork.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello CXDiamond

Re: DB’s ICE trains.

Yes, second class is comfortable. That’s probably one reason why the first class capacity on these trains consists of just a small compartment.

Contrast that to Virgin Trains’ Pendolinos. On an 11-coach Pendolino you find that first class takes up four carriages.

However, the UK’s rail network has a restricted loading guage compared with its counterparts in mainland Europe.

For that reason the Pendolino trains operating in the UK are narrower and hence less spacious inside because trackside space must be found for the ’tilt.’

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Thanks for the clarity on the ICE Alex.

It’s interesting to see more threads on train travel on the board. Long may it continue, oh and it’s helpful when they are not bumped out of the top ten to make way for the usual nonsense.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls