LGW/LIS/CPH ranked worst in Europe for disruption

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

According to passenger rights group AirHelp LGW is the worst airport in Europe for disruption with 54.08% of flights delayed by more than 15 mins or cancelled. Lisbon was second with 51.04% and Copenhagen third with 50.88%. Heathrow was at 40% and didn’t make the top 10 worst, versus CDG at 50.60% (4th worst) and AMS at 36%.

Helsinki, Düsseldorf and Oslo were the least disrupted
    Notable that the new Heathrow CEO comes from CPH….

ASK1945
    Participant

Is measuring a delay of 15 minutes really a “disruption”?

Many of my recent flights have been delayed more than this, yet have arrived at the destination on or before the published arrival time. As far as I am concerned, when I book a flight I note th arrival time and, if the plane arrives before, on or just a few minutes after this published time, there is no disruption.

Cancellations, of course, are a different matter. But, don’t these really reflect the airlines using the airport, rather than the airport, most of the time?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As previously reported airlines in Europe have been padding schedules for years to massage their punctuality figures.

Hence when weather is perfect and/or flights are limited (as happened during the days of Covid) short distance flights were arriving into LHR a good 30 mins early.

I remember one reader starting a Forum thread about this at the time of Covid.

cwoodward
    Participant

I agree with ASK1945 that a 15 minute delay should no longer be considered any sort of disruption.

As Alex mentions there was a quantum change several years back in how airlines set up their timetables making the departure time almost irrelevant and the arrival time the properly focus – as of course it always should have been.

As an instance routinely the many daily CX flights to Manila leave HKG 20 minutes late and arrive 30 minutes often early.
    There are good reasons for the rather substantial padding on this route however as weather is a big factor at certain times of the year with often the storms and typhoons causing delays for days on end.
    Also the infrastructure of the busy Manila airport is not the most resilient and it can quickly turn into total chaos that causes lasting delays.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls