Let down by Cathay

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

• FlyingChinaman
    Participant

@First.Class: Why not travel on Gulf Air or EK etc. if you don’t like the hardware and as a revenue passenger you should have plenty of choices!

First.Class.Please
    Participant

All down to price. Need to be in Hong Kong, then Sydney so sticking to the same carrier / alliance is much more cost effective.

By my calculations i think CX have 4 types of business class?

Regional, angled lie flat, then version 1 of the coffin and now version 2.

The flight used to be served with angled lie flat and fFirst class, now it`s gone backwards.

At least i get the new seat HKG – SYD, then it`s QF A380 to London.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Understood your reasoning.

I might be from HK and use CX often but I choose the best carrier/service as I am not bound by it.

You will love their new BIZ seats. Try to be in the second cabin as there are only 3 rows of seats and more calm.

The software is mostly good. Are you Nadia?

Great travels!

First.Class.Please
    Participant

Thanks Chinaman, hadn`t realised there were 2 cabin. i`m at the front somewhere, 14 maybe so will look to change.

i`m afriad i`m not Nadia, sorry !

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

First.Class.Please:

Do try to change to the second cabin.

Obviously you have not watched the recent 3-month Cathay new Biz class campaign (BBC World/CNN) showing a younger Mr Bond was resting in his new seat and an “authoritative male voice” from the IFE informed Mr Bond that Nadia, the pretty slim female attendant was approaching him with a drink and Mr Bond asked if her name of Nadia and she blushed!!!!!

You could do the same in this new BIZ seat!!!!

Binman62
    Participant

toyotaboy95…………for most carriers I might agree but in CX case they continue to serve LHR with the mortuary/coffin seat rather than the new product…or at least did so the last time I looked, For thta reason have not used them ex LHR but instead choose BA but ex EU rather than direct ex LHR as the fare was 75% less!!.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Binman, the trick to seeing your kids in the coffins is to be in different rows. Assuming you are tall enough to look over the top of the dividing walls, you can look straight into the seats across the aisle and 1 or 2 rows back from you. On the annual trip I take with my younger daugher (who is 10) that is what I do – earlier this month I was on the upper deck in 87K, she was in 88A, and I could keep an eye on her with no trouble at all. 89A was just as visible.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Binman62: The new Cathay BIZ seats are only found with their newly deliverd aircrafts which are the A330 and 777ER. They are used for the OZ and N. American routes at the moment.

The aircrafts used on the London/EU routes are B744 and A340.
    I read CX is going to retrofit the new BIZ seats in all their other long-haul aircrafts so the situation might be different in a few months time.

AndyInSweden
    Participant

FlyingChinaman: Where have your read that CX will retrofit all longhaul aircraft? Newspapaer or press release?

I’m just asking because the press release back in Dec 2010 only mentioned that the B777-300ER and A330-300 would be retrofitted. There was no mention of the B744 or A340. I just hope it’s true that CX will retrofit it’s entire longhaul fleet…

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

AndyInSweden: I think I read it in the newspaper but I shall call CX the day after tomorrow in Hong Kong just to get a confirmation that I am correct. I could be wrong!!!!

CX could replace A340 with 777ER on the UK/EU routes, even if the retrofit is not done on the B744 and the travellers could still benefit.

kin3kin
    Participant

not just shorthaul,i recently travel shanghai/london booked on cx business, checked in,issue boarding pass all ready to fly,last minuite swap around,were to we had to fly with virgin atlantic,but because our schedule is tight we have to get to london,not happy with the changes,

ivornomates
    Participant

Binman 62 would you care to show us an example of a 75% less fare on BA from a euro start point, I assume you have pressed the wrong keys when posting this claim. for most carriers I might agree but in CX case they continue to serve LHR with the mortuary/coffin seat rather than the new product…or at least did so the last time I looked, For thta reason have not used them ex LHR but instead choose BA but ex EU rather than direct ex LHR as the fare was 75% less!!.

Hongkee
    Participant

BOYCOTT CX!! I am writing in regarding the appalling Cathay service over the past couple of months. It is almost impossible to get hold of the Marco Polo line. My wife spent DAYS calling up almost hourly to get our flights redeemed. We had an issue that we cannot book online.

When she finally got a line instead of an engaged tone, she waited 4.5hours before someone picked up the line!!! She had to cancel dinner plans. This is TOTALLY unacceptable for a top-tier airline. The same thing happened when we were in Bali and needed to change our flights for medical reason. We spent days & nights making OVERSEAS calls but to no avail. I wonder who will reimburse us. Our friends in Bali were shocked by the CX service.

While we do understand a need to upgrade systems (which we received notice months ago), there is no excuse not to anticipate that you will need additional support/manpower during this period. A system upgrade is known ahead and hence, could have been planned better.

One of the reasons people subscribe to frequent flier programs is because they are happy with the service and would like to use the airline frequently. I am not expecting exceptional/demanding service but it is shameful (pardon my language but that is how I feel) that a top-tier airline cannot even get a phone line sorted. By the way, we tried the website too but it kept crashing. What is the point of having a frequent flier program if you cannot cope or maintain a reasonable level of service??

To say I am very disappointed with CX, is an understatement!

Binman62
    Participant

Ivornomates…….I missed this request as away at the time.

Try MXP – CGK £2100 in May against £6750 ex LHR same dates and flights…..I make it 68% less. Last year it was closer to 75% however fares ex Italy have risen more than the currency has devalued.

oldchinahand
    Participant

The following is as of 20/5 and may be helpfull

All HKG/LHR flights and v v are now all ether 777 or 747.
    There are no A340 operating this route
    New business class now on CX251/0 &253/4 operated by 777
    All 747s still have the ‘coffin’

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls