Legislation for minimum seat size

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

I’d go further regarding publication of seat pitch and width etc..As I mentioned earlier, this information means nothing much to most irregular Y travellers.
    I’d change the language to ” DISCLOSURE “. That they are an airline that has deliberately chosen to ignore the aircraft manufacturers recommend layout,
    Furthermore, if they cite cheaper ticket costs,get them to price compare the savings over their competitors who choose not to cram in the extra seats.

JohnHarper
    Participant

The more I’ve thought about legislating that seat size should be disclosed the better an idea I think it is and it should apply to all classes.

On the Air Canada prison ship not only is economy awful but business isn’t much better with tight coffins very much like the offering in C on Swiss. I’m a big guy and my shoulders don’t fit and once horizontal I can’t move my feet or legs so not fit for purpose either.

Like many carriers Air Canada have three offerings of business class. The old herringbone is fine and still what I expect of them, on the 787 there is the latest 1-2-1 offering like CX, QR and so on and then there are coffins on the prison ship. Two of the three are acceptable and the third one I wouldn’t wish to pay for and would rather sit in a recliner.

Airlines make more of their first offering but still the disparity between a suite on SQ or EK and at the risk of being criticised for BA bashing (topical at the moment I see) the BA business plus offering. People who don’t know think they are buying something top notch and it might be or it might not be depending on the carrier and there is little in comparison from SQ at the top and BA at the bottom.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

JohnHarper – 18/02/2016 11:19 GMT

Or a suite on EK, compared to a non-suite on EK. Day and night.

JohnHarper
    Participant

EK 2-2-2 in F on the A330 deserves a mention! Compare that to a suite on the A380.

That said even EK F in the six across config is not as bad as the Air Canada prison ship!

There are a lot of pertinent points here – has anyone any idea about how to take them forward? I would be more than willing to if someone knows where we might get an audience.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

I hadn’t realised there is already a minimum pitch in the EU – it’s 26 inches.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/minimum-seat-size-law-for-planes-debated-in-US/

I can’t imagine who was responsible for setting it so low as to be unusable but presumably now the law is there it can be altered.

Charles-P
    Participant

French politician Laurent Wauquiez has proposed 76cm as the minimum pitch (equal to around 30″).

knightsincairo
    Participant

WillieWelsh – 17/02/2016 18:31 GMT

On every flight I book I open another tab alongside the selection window and go to seatguru.com and find out what kind of seat I will be getting – they have pitch and width, recline data for just about all flights and variants. Also points you to the best seats and those to avoid. I routinely select airline based on the quality of sheep-pen I will get for that sector.

Carrion1
    Participant

While I am completely in agreement with suggestions to require disclosure, I support the idea of a mandated minimum, probably with tiers for different flight lengths. What may be tolerable from Rome to Bari on Ryan air would not be on a trans Atlantic leg. As mentioned above, Europeans and Americans tend to be taller and heavier than their Asian counterparts.

A significant number of business travelers are stuck with what their corporate travel department books, usually emphasizing cost over any other factor. If a mandated minimum seat size were enacted, costs might rise somewhat, but if the trip was worthwhile before it probably still will be.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls