Last BA 757 flight date/time announced

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

Tim2soza
    Participant

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4967518/

Flight number: BA1463 – Edinburgh to London Heathrow departing at 19:35 and arriving at 21:00 on Saturday, 30th October.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Posters on airlines.net were saying that no tickets were left, but I just booked a return to EDI for 750 airmiles using their website.

Delsurrey
    Participant

There are a number of flights scheduled for tomorrow, info available on the BA press site at
    http://press.ba.com/?p=1514

Bucksnet
    Participant

Just got back from LHR after taking the last flight. BA at their best and I got a certificate as well. Captain said he will continue flying with BA as the cockpit on the 767 is the same, and all 767s are getting a full cabin refurbishment to remain in service for another 5-7 years.

Potakas
    Participant

Interesting what you said about the 767s, did you learn if they are going to refurbish both Euro and World 767s?

Regards

Bucksnet
    Participant

The captain said all 767s and said that 7 were short haul and 14 were long haul. Also, he specifically said that they would be getting the same interior as the -400, so that means the Boeing Signature Interior and not just new overhead bins from some 3rd party maker that I think I’ve seen before.

Potakas
    Participant

Excellent news !!! I had ticket for the same flight but unfortunately i could not make it, hope you enjoyed it.

BT is it possible to provide as any information about the future 767’s refurbish?

Regards

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Bye bye 75.

Good in it’s day, that day was long gone for BA.

No containerised loading and heavy fuel burn.

The Airbus is a better business tool.

The BA models will give good service as freighters.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Agree with these points Disgusted but what us old codgers miss with the 757 is the cabin layout and onboard service that they brought. BA at their best as Bucksnet said above. Separate the cabin of the 320 / 321 into sections so they don’t look like EZY or FR cattle trucks and bring back the full size tray meal service – the flight lengths haven’t changed after all, the Airbus jets fly at about the same speed – and we’ll be happy knowing that less fuel is being burnt and our cargo is containerised. Combine that level of service with today’s facilities like mobile boarding passes and there would be little to beat it – just look how bmi has fallen by the wayside in comparison with BA on shorthaul over the last few years – not that long ago the BD DC luggage tag was attached to your briefcase with pride…

simmy700
    Participant

There is still one more flight on the 757, although if you want to get on it you need to be either BA staff or one of their friends and family.

The last scheduled commercial flights for the Boeing 757s, was on Saturday 30 October 2010. However, BA have arranged a special charity flight to raise money for Flying Start!. (the new onboard charity with proceeds to Comic Releif).

Minimum bid is £100. The top 160 bids will get a seat!

If you want to be on the flight and you know somebody at BA that can get your bid in for you then get in contact with them ASAP. The deadline is 4pm on 03/11/10.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Jim

I agree that the 75 cabin layout was lovely, was just trying to be dispassionate and state why BA got rid.

No longer use CE (unless bundled with CW), ‘enhancements ‘ mean too little differential from ET (which is pretty good value for money and not a bad product.)

RogEdwards
    Participant

I went down to from EDI – LHR on BMI on Saturday afternoon just so I could come back up on the Retro 757’s final LHR departure.

It was a bit geeky but well worth it. It brings it home to you how amazing the digital world in which we live. I was sat in 2F and as we pushed back I watched a Ramp person filming the pushback on an iPhone. When I got home – a little bit of messing around on YouTube and I found the video uploaded by that ramp agent.

As we taxied out to take off the Head of 757 Training made a little speech and told us we would be doing a 100% power take off. The 757 is so overpowered that they usually only use about 80% on take off.

When we got to the runway they unleased that raw power – and we went like a rocket. Take off was between 10 and 15 seconds and the climb out was steep and breath-taking. Managed to find YouTube videos of the take off from the side of the runway and from inside the aircraft (someone obviously ignored the “no electronic devices rule” – I couldn’t film it because I was sat opposite the CSD).

In flight the Captain came out and chatted to me and my son (who had a special entry into his SkyFlyers book) and then we had pictures taken by the BA photographer.

All in all a great day out and a fitting way to celebrate nearly 20 years of Shuttling.

RogerVictor
    Participant

All the B757’s that day took off with 100% power. I think the pilots were having some fun. It was very impressive. You suddenly realise the capabilities of these planes, they are restricted to rate of turn/climb/descent for comfort of passengers. If they have to they can through them around the skies.

The B757 was a bit of a pain at Heathrow at times. It’s landing speed was significantly less than a lot of other aircraft and over the years the number of aborted landings by big, heavy and fast aircraft following a B757 was fairly high.

The B757 was also a unique plane outbound. It is classified as a ‘Heavy’ aircraft around much of the world meaning that a smaller ,A319, B737, MD80 etc., plane behind it would want 2 minutes to allow the vortex wake to dissipate. For some reason the UK CAA classified it as a ‘Medium’ for departure and invented an ‘upper medium’ for arrival. It led to a lot of european aircraft wanting increased distance behind it on departure, whilst BA and BMI would depart straight away.

Beautiful plane to fly in, a bit of a pain to operate at the airport. I for one will miss it. Especially the retro BA one. More of those please – hang the dividend

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls