Large rise in airport drop-off charges

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cwoodward, my comments at least were all in relation to LHR, which has not changed the drop off fee price since it was introduced in 2021, so in real terms it has fallen around 20%. My point on ownership, and why I focused on highlighting which airports have some form of public ownership, revolves around the political backlash any drop off fees might garner, which seems very much apparent here that they would. Public ownership likely limits anti societal policies. HAL may have its issues, but it handles more passengers than any other 2 runway airport in the world, and operates at 98% capacity, its ability to handle the amount of traffic it does (yes some of this has to do with NATS), is testament to how it is managed.

FDOS
    Participant

cwoodward

Exactly.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Very interesting debates (and debaters) here.

The Memsahib and I have been in the UK recently (Junior Offspring’s graduation – she got a First! I still can’t quite believe it) and for a chunk of the stay were based in the Courtyard by Marriott at LHR for a bunch of reasons (value, comfort, bloody good curry, Marriott status benefits, easy access to public transport etc). And we had the debate about how I would get to T3 for my return flight (as the Memsahib needed to stay on). We ended up paying the 5 quid drop-off fee. So as someone who had to go a very short distance and has the means to afford the fee, how do I feel?

It’s a bloody rip-off

Yes, we chose to pay it. We can afford it. It was, if you like, a convenience tax. But what were the alternatives? Pay even more to get a Hoppa Bus with all the inconvenience and nuisance that goes along with that? Hang around in the rain to get a TfL bus? Oh, I don’t think so…

So… I think most of my grievance is that you get virtually nothing for what you pay. The roads are already there. It costs HAL absolutely nothing to have someone dropped off (oh ok, I don’t know if they have to pay to have the roads resurfaced once a decade because of wear and tear, but you get my drift). It generates so much emotion because it is an obvious cash-grab that isn’t justified in terms of service provided, cost to HAL, or any other rational measure.

I’m a believer in capitalism. HAL have a duty to make money. Fine. But I believe that when you are charged for something – unless it is a social penalty (eg tobacco tax) – then you should get something in return; and the drop-off fee really irks me and I resent it.

5 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

“I don’t know if they have to pay to have the roads resurfaced once a decade because of wear and tear,”

That’s a cost of being in business, airport vehicles need roads to operate on.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Interesting post Ian, thank you.
    I’m starting to wonder if I’m in a minority! As while I’d naturally rather not pay, I have no real beef with HAL levying this charge, especially as this is pretty common, UK airport wide, and they certainly weren’t the first to levy the charge.

We could talk about rip off charges all day – but one you mention that I think is utterly risible is the Hoppa. (£11 for a return).

My airport hotel stays are almost all in the US where each hotel runs its own shuttle bus to and from the airport, free of charge. Heathrow airport hotels are a real outlier on this front.
    If the car rental companies can provide a free shuttle bus, I can’t see why hotels can’t.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Travelfoot
    Participant

AlanOrton1 the reason Heathrow hotels can not provide their own transport is because they are not allowed to, this is another monopolistic rip off.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Thanks Travelfoot – that’s what I love about this forum – great place to learn more about business related travel.

I suspect HAL will say it’s traffic related, still poor IMO given there is no shortage of rental car buses coming in and out.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed Travelfoot.

At one time each hotel provided its own courtesy bus which transferred customers free of charge between the terminals and the property.

But BAA (LHR’s owner at that time) objected to the congestion from all these transfer buses and hence the Hoppa was inroduced.

At that time there were fewer hotels in the area surrouding LHR than there are today.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The last time I stayed at Heathrow, there was a morning queue of people waiting for taxis or the hoppa bus. Some of us in line for the taxis tried to buddy up to save time and split the cost.

The greedy mini cabs drivers were having none of it and refused to allow people to buddy up. Those who made a fuss were ignored, the taxi line was long enough for the drivers to pick up another passenger and charge a whacking great fee to get them to a terminal….

I have no issues being charged for any fee or fare – as long as I do not feel I am being ‘scammed’…

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls